C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:47 PM
tomservo291
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more

My buddy just purchased a '80 vette after returning from his tour in Iraq,
and I'd like to do a bit of research before we get started on a few projects. It's in good running condition but it's all stock .. and well, that needs to change :lol:

I've been reading through alot of posts and learned quite a bit of information, it's nice to see how helpful everyone here is. We have some previous experience with his last '79 camaro with a built 350 .. after three years of hard work, it was pushing 450hp normally aspirated with full muffled dual 2.5" exhaust; and you could still here it from 1/2 mile away :chevy :chevy

Anyways, here come the questions.

Looking around online I've only come across a few different hood options, particularly the stinger and l88 style hoods at eckler. Upon finding closeup pics of some peoples cars it appears that the stinger style hood is only a functional cowl, and that the front inlet is actually sealed; would it be feasable to cut this out and put in a screen? Or perhaps could you point out a better place to purchase a hood.

Furthermore, I'm familiar with the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake that we used on the camaro, and on posts here I've seen much referral to the "edelbrock performer," is this the same model or are there different Performer and Performer RPM models?

On that note, the carbeurator could use a little change, and this seems a tidy bit more complex with all the vaccum lines and what not, but I did see some direct replacements such as this Edelbrock (I like them as you couldn't tell.)

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...8VWQG1CL40B74C

It's a bit pricier then getting a replacement of the original or a rebuilt version, but in the end it's what the car would be happier with ... that's all that matters; my question is this: is it actually what it claims to be, a direct replacement that will fit the factory hardware and vaccum lines? And would it need an adapter plate to fit an Edelbrock Performer manifold since it's a stock replacement part (or so it says)

:rant:

I know it's a long post, but if you have any input on any of the topics mentioned it would be greatly appreciated! It'd be good to get this car started off on the right foot
Old 04-12-2004, 02:06 PM
tomservo291
8th Gear

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (tomservo291)

note: I just found on eckler's that for any non q-jet carb you need the adapter plate .. only $8.99
Old 04-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I don't have a lot of input, but I can help a little on the manifold question.

The Performer is NOT the same as the Performer RPM. The Performer RPM will not fit under the stock 80 hood, but it sounds like you will be changing that anyway. If you plan on building up the engine, then the RPM would probably be a good choice, as long as you will be replacing the hood. There are a couple other hoods out there as well, I believe there is a "turbo" hood in Eckler's, but I haven't looked for some time. The turbo is a high rise hood and has two scoops in it. A guy I knew a few years back had fabricated a box around the air cleaner assembly and created a sort of ram air hood using the scoops in the turbo hood. Unfortunately, I don't have any designs for that hood. Sorry I couldn't help out more.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:39 PM
tomservo291
8th Gear

yea, I'm not quite so sure about that carb I posted. It's great and all, it's what I'd like to see on the car, but 750cfm seems a bit large for a 350 that will only have headers and a new intake, it will probably be some time before it gets any major work done such as better heads. What is the stock cfm of the q-jet on a 350?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (Captain Morgan)

If you're more concerned about the function of the hood rather than appearance, the cowl induction is actually better. It's my understanding that the highest pressure area is at the base of the windshield. This forces cold area into the L88 style cowl induction. Thie L88 hood will also permit almost any intake and carb to be used.
Gary
Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM
JBR
Racer

Re: to your carb. 750cfm is just fine for the 350 engine. You figure must came from the factory with 750 q-jets. :cheers:
Old 04-12-2004, 08:23 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Someone needs to verify this, but I think the stock '80 hood has the most clearence of all of the stock small-block hoods. Some people have gotten the RPM manifold to fit. It requires a 2" drop base air cleaner and a 2" air filter (NAPA sells them). You may want to buy K&N's air filter top to get some more surface area to breath though.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (69stingray)

I think the hood on an '80 is the same as a '77, and I had no problem getting the RPM under my hood. I used a 1-1/4" drop base and a 3" filter :cheers:
Old 04-12-2004, 09:25 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The "ram air" effect of the cowl hoods is over-rated. The pressure rise due to this effect is negligible for speeds much below 100 mph. The cold air effect is not, however. Underhood temps easily exceed 150' during a normal summer day. A cowl hood or fresh air induction can drop temps 50+' which can definitely improve performance. I personnally like the looks of the L88 hood. You'd have plenty of room for just about anything short of a tunnel ram or 671 blower.

Glad to hear your buddy returned from his duty in Iraq without harm and that he saw fit to reward himself with a much deserved gift!! Congratulations to him and best of luck with his project!! :cheers: :hurray:
Old 04-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

The Edlebrock performer intake and the Edlebrock performer RPM intake are definately two different intakes. The RPM intake is taller and will most likely not fit under a stock hood. The carb you showed is a direct replacement but you can get a Holly 4175 for about 1/2 the cost. If you check out Summit or Jegs you can find either the Holly or the Edlebrock cheaper than what you are currently looking at.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (LemansBlue68)

So if I understand correctly, the secret is to modifiy the air filter???, because I was looking at the rpm air gap as well, but am frouning at the idee in investing in a hood.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (Michel B)

So if I understand correctly, the secret is to modifiy the air filter???, because I was looking at the rpm air gap as well, but am frouning at the idee in investing in a hood.
Well, sort of. I have the RPM with a drop base air cleaner and a 3" K&N filter on my 79, but it just BARELY fits. You need a flat top lid in order for the hood to close. One of these days I'm going to take pictures. I also read somewhere that too much of a drop base cleaner defeats the purpose of the large filter because of the "bottleneck" effect on the air. It makes sense to me. Sure, there is 3" of height to the filter, but suppose you have a 1 1/2" drop base with a flat top lid. The bottom 1 1/2" has to turn immediately just to get to the carb. Don't know if this is true or not as I haven't done any dyno testing with different air cleaners. Even adding K&N's filter top isn't going to help much because the hood will sit almost directly on top of the cleaner lid anyway. JMO, and I've been wrong before.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Riley
Instructor

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (Captain Morgan)

here's a pic of my 80 with RPM intake, drop base and K&N Filter. I just put the hood on to make shure l didn't touch and it does fit. I Also have the New Edelbrock 650cfm thunder carb electric choke. If you can afford a New L88 hood that would be nice but it can fit under an stock 80 if you try.
:cheers:

[Modified by Riley, 11:50 AM 4/13/2004]
Old 04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (Riley)

DUDE, YOUR RADIATOR IS ON FIRE!!!!!!!! :jester
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (Riley)

the rpm intake WILL fit under the hood with any standard drop base air cleaner. there is about half an inch of clearance though. so be absolutely sure not to leave anything on the air cleaner.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:54 PM
81ZZ4
Burning Brakes

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (neverendingproject)

Fit the RPM performer under my 81 stock hood.
Tight but fits with K&N drop base.
even Edelbrock said no go...but it does work
Old 04-14-2004, 03:31 PM
rcastor426
Racer

ok, all this talk of installing an L88 hood is something i have been interested in for the exact reason of engine compartment heat. with the rpm intake the engine flows better but you have to get you air from the engine compartment which is hot, is the air cleaner and ducting easy to get? if going to go through all the trouble would definatly like to know if the system was going to seal properly...
Old 04-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (rcastor426)

The 73-79 med. rise hood allows the Victor Jr, RPM & others w/ aftermarket dropbase & Holley. Cooler air can be taken in over the radiator or from the cowl. All that's really needed for a SB & allows BB. A good way to go for a SB as it gives a "stock" appearance to many.
The L-88 hi rise hood is only 7/8" higher than the 73-79 med. rise hood & allows a taller intake for BB.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more (Ganey)

I have a 454 under the stock hood. Before you go to a cowl or L88 hood, sit in a car with one. I tried it out and really didn't like the lack of visibility. I'm about 5'10" and it interfered with the feel of the car because my eyes were always drawn into the black hole in front of me.

Get notified of new replies

To need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more

Quick Reply: need advice: hood, manifold, carb & more