C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found part of my build sheet this morning ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Found part of my build sheet this morning ....

Was under the car checking out the back of the gas tank, shone the flash light near the top rear section of the gas tank ans saw some paper sticking out. I nearly whacked my head on the bottom of the car as I realized what this might be. Sure enough, after snaking a piece of wire up there, out comes about 4 x 4 inch piece of paper in pretty rough shape. Spent the next few hours trying to fish around to see if I could find any more pieces! Since I have the top left corner of this sheet, can anyone tell me a few things from their build sheet, or is there an example of one somewhere? A lot of the printing is pretty faded but it looks like the first box in the left hand corner reads:

32-0790
10-07
Could this be my build date? I know I have an early '79 as the VIN number is low and has the 3 door storage compartment. Were these papers glued to the top of the tank? Thanks for any info.. This makes my week! :hurray:
Old 04-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Vette-4-Life
Instructor

Default Re: Found part of my build sheet this morning .... (79Cruzer)

I recently dropped my gas tank and yes the build sheet is glued to the tank, i took several digital pics as i could not save it. It literally fell apart when i touched it.

Don't know about your other question, that part of my build sheet wasn't legible
Old 04-14-2004, 03:21 AM
cookin1979
Advanced

Put your build sheet under a black light. It will help you make out any faded areas. This is the only document we have that directly relates to the manufacture of our vehicles. A birth certificate, if you will.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:25 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

A lot of the printing is pretty faded but it looks like the first box in the left hand corner reads:

32-0790
10-07

Could this be my build date? I know I have an early '79 as the VIN number is low and has the 3 door storage compartment. Were these papers glued to the top of the tank?

Yes "tank stickers" have been glued to the top of the tank since 1967. It is actually called the manifest but us enthusiasts call it the build sheet. It was one of seven copies used in the plant to build the car. Each assembly line got a copy to do their part of the car. A legible build sheet will reconcile with the codes and tags stamped or hung throughout your Corvette if they haven't been ravaged by the elements and miles driven.

The "32-0790" could be the "job sequence number" but the "10-07" is the estimated build date. The later is the date when the plant expected the car to roll off the assemble floor. You indicate it is in the first box but more likely it is box number 10. The box above it is the first box and you may have left this piece of document behind.

If you look at the build date on your trim tag (windshield pillar post), you will probably note a few days difference. The tag was put on as the body entered the second paint booth and days away from final assembly. Most likely, the build date will precede the Oct 07 date by a couple of days...but not necessarily. Production was not science.

I have a build sheet template I share with C3 owners who in return send a copy of their build sheet. The template tells you what each box represents and is especially helpful when the boxes are faded. For example, if you've got four inches, just below the estimated date and to the right is the engine suffix code that will match up with engine suffix code on your engine block...assuming it's the original motor. The code starts with a "Z" and either be a "ZA" or "ZB" with the last letter confirming an L48 or L82 with transmission type, emissions or high altitude.

Check it out and let us know what you find.

[Modified by hunt4cleanair, 6:28 AM 4/14/2004]
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I found my build sheet on top of the tank when I replaced my muffler on the drivers side. Could actually get my hand up there enough with the muffler off to work it loose....LT
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Default Re: Found part of my build sheet this morning .... (hunt4cleanair)

Thanks for the valuable information. This is great. I'll do some follow-up with the trim tag and let you know. I'm about the 5th or 6th owner of the car (had it one year now) based on the DMV records that were supplied when I bought it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:41 PM
red79c3
Racer

I'm going to go and look and see if I find anything....... Where in Ontario are you from? I was raised in St.Catharines but live in Florida now.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-15-2004, 12:20 AM
surfboardtrader
Instructor

i just went and looked for my build sheet on my 73 coupe after looking at this post, i found part of it by looking thru the gastank opening and fishing it out with a long screw driver. the pieces i found have some build codes so im going to look in my black book right now. :cheers: :seeya :U :hurray:
Old 04-15-2004, 04:33 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Default Re: Found part of my build sheet this morning .... (surfboardtrader)

i just went and looked for my build sheet on my 73 coupe after looking at this post, i found part of it by looking thru the gastank opening and fishing it out with a long screw driver. the pieces i found have some build codes so im going to look in my black book right now.
Those old sheets are brittle and fishing out with a screwdriver is probably not a good idea. Most that study build sheet preservation suggest leaving them on the tank for the very reason that is indicated here...they fall apart very easily!

The codes on the tank stickers are broadcast codes and differ from the RPO codes listed in the black book...if we are speaking of the same black book (Antonicks). Broadcast codes were/are used by the factory to pull parts out of the parts bin as called out by the broadcast sheet or tank sticker.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:00 PM
carnut114
Racer

I found mine when i was replacing the gas tank. I was pulling it out and a yellow sheet flew out. This was before i knew about these sheets. It was in one piece and i can read the date that it was delivered to the dealer and the pre printed words on it but the typed words look like they were erased(worn off). I tried scanning it but could not enhance it to make it out. I will have to try the black light method. I keep it in a plastic bag now.

Eric
Old 04-15-2004, 01:02 PM
vettery
Racer

The codes on the tank stickers are broadcast codes and differ from the RPO codes listed in the black book...if we are speaking of the same black book (Antonicks). Broadcast codes were/are used by the factory to pull parts out of the parts bin as called out by the broadcast sheet or tank sticker.
So is there a cross reference that tells what the broadcast codes refer to? :confused:
Old 04-17-2004, 10:31 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

I posted a copy of my build sheet for another topic...I discovered that I bought my car 22 years to the day that it was built. Here is a link to that post and the image. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=800281

[Modified by 2TONE82, 9:34 AM 4/17/2004]
Old 04-17-2004, 08:30 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Default Re: Found part of my build sheet this morning .... (red79c3)

________________________________________ ________________________
I'm going to go and look and see if I find anything....... Where in Ontario are you from? I was raised in St.Catharines but live in Florida now.
________________________________________ ________________________

red79c3 ---- I'm in a small town northeast of London, (Thorndale) Ontario.

[Modified by 79Cruzer, 7:32 PM 4/17/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 04:55 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Ironically, when I left for the Lowe's Motor Speedway, this thread was strong and on my return it looks like it still draws interest.

AT the speedway, an NCRS meet, a member showed up with a "0" mileage 78 SA and wouldn't you know it...stuffed into the strut support bracket was a build sheet! Amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To Found part of my build sheet this morning ....

Quick Reply: Found part of my build sheet this morning ....