C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the battery compartment on a 79

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:10 AM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the battery compartment on a 79

Hey ya'll,
What is the best or easiest way to clean off that battery acid powder on top of the battery and on the cable connectors when the battery is down in the battery compartment? :confused: I thought about using my vaccum cleaner but thought that battery powder stuff would ruin it. :rolleyes: Then I thought about using a small brush but then where would I brush it to. :confused: How corrosive is that powder on the battery? :skep: Why do I have so much powder build-up? How can I prevent this from happening in the future? :shocked:

;-*
Old 04-11-2004, 11:33 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Question about the battery compartment on a 79 (79VetteGirl)

Hey ya'll,
What is the best or easiest way to clean off that battery acid powder on top of the battery and on the cable connectors when the battery is down in the battery compartment? :confused: I thought about using my vaccum cleaner but thought that battery powder stuff would ruin it. :rolleyes: Then I thought about using a small brush but then where would I brush it to. :confused: How corrosive is that powder on the battery? :skep: Why do I have so much powder build-up? How can I prevent this from happening in the future? :shocked:

;-*
The links below should help. My 1980 battery compartment was pretty grungy so I removed the battery and cleaned the compartment (409/Simple Green/etc). There is a drain hole so the cleaning solution should just run out. You will see the drain hole after you remove the battery.

( remove negative cable FIRST when removing the battery - hookup negative cable LAST when installing the battery)

Baking soda will clean the corrosion off, and a small brass "tooth brush" type wire brush is useful for tough spots. Some Vaseline or Nolox type grease will help keep the corrosion away.

<A HREF="http://tips.tipking.com/handyman/tip_325.shtml" TARGET="_blank"> http://tips.tipking.com/handyman/tip_325.shtml</A>

http://www.ssan.com/howto/auto/cleancarbattery.htm

[Modified by mapman, 10:34 AM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 12:05 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question about the battery compartment on a 79 (mapman)

Be careful when you take the positive cable off. There is some metal bracing that the wrench loves hitting. Kinda scares you when your not expecting it, and it kinda melted the tip of my nice new gearvendors ratcheting wrench.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Question about the battery compartment on a 79 (lostpatrolman)

Be careful when you take the positive cable off. There is some metal bracing that the wrench loves hitting. Kinda scares you when your not expecting it, and it kinda melted the tip of my nice new gearvendors ratcheting wrench.
That is why you remove the negative cable first. ;)

Also, check the autoparts stores for a new product to clean up the corrosion. I wish I could remember the name of it, but my memory sucks. Anyway, you just spray this stuff on, let it sit for a few seconds, then wipe it off. And like the first reply said, make sure to put some sort of dielectric grease on the terminals to prevent corosion in the future.

If the corosion is very bad, it could have worked its way up into the cables, which would mean they need to be replaced. That's a fun job on our vettes.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:38 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine not long ago and went with an Optima for a replacement. After removing the old battery, I made a solution of baking soda and water and used that to flush everything down the drain hole. MAKE SURE TO WET DOWN DRIVEWAY FIRST or you'll have some nasty rust stains.
Then I scubbed it out again with baking soda and water, then finally some dish soap and rinsed well. After it dried I painted with with some of that flecked trunk paint. I'm not sure how well it cured, but at least it doesn't smell as bad. I need to get a new seal for the lid as mine is missing.

[Modified by isosceles, 12:38 PM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Question about the battery compartment on a 79 (isosceles)

I made a solution of baking soda and hot water .
:thumbs:
Old 04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

Thanks guys. I see this is going to be more then just a 5 minute job. I was hoping for a way just to brush it off without it getting in or on my car. The best ways aren't always the easiest ways I guess. :smash:

:grouphug:

;-*
Old 04-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Hey ya'll,
What is the best or easiest way to clean off that battery acid powder on top of the battery and on the cable connectors when the battery is down in the battery compartment? :confused: I thought about using my vaccum cleaner but thought that battery powder stuff would ruin it. :rolleyes:
You could always use the big heavy duty vac at a do it yourself car wash for like 50 cents.
-or-
Borrow your neighbor's vac for the job :jester
Old 04-12-2004, 10:11 PM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

Default Re: Question about the battery compartment on a 79 (Corvette_fetish)

You could always use the big heavy duty vac at a do it yourself car wash for like 50 cents-or-Borrow your neighbor's vac for the job :jester
BINGO.....WE HAVE A WINNER......GIVE THAT MAN A PRIZE.........DING DING DING DING DING DING :cheers: :cool: :thumbs:

;-*

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the battery compartment on a 79

Quick Reply: Question about the battery compartment on a 79