C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 03:11 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ?

Hi

My 68 has a Hurts shifter on the M21 close ratio 4 speed. The reverse light switch is missing. Can the original switch be installed ?
Did anybody make up something custom to get the lights back to work ?

Where do I find the electrical cable from the lights ? Are they running under the hand brake lever cover ? Whowevr installed this Hurst shifter did a good job eliminating the switch and the cable and ??

Thanks. Gunther
Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Re: reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ? (WESCH)

Don't know about your 68', but my 78' (with Hurst) has the BU light switch lever connected to the reverse arm on the trans with a short link. The switch comes with the wire connected to it and plugs into a connector (2 wire) that comes out of the harness that goes across the firewall. I can take pictures if you need them
Old 04-11-2004, 01:55 PM
69driver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ? (WESCH)

Gunther,
I have a '69 with a hurst and a close ratio M21. My backuplight switch was also missing. I ordered the stock switch from Corvette Central. The wiring harness for the lights are under the parking break cover. You may be able to access them throught the small side cover (lower right hand corver of the driver side, just under the dash). It went on with no trouble. However, I had to straighten the connecting rod (switch to reverse linkage on tranny) in order to get the lights to go on and off properly. You will just have to mess with the rod in order to get the lights to go off in neutral and on in reverse. Since the backup switch is a switched 12 volt source, so you can do this with the engine off. FYI, the wires are supposed to run from the tranny, forward to the engine bay, up the firewall, through a grommet, under the dash, then under the parking brake area. If you look, you may still have the clips on the firewall to hold the wires.

Sean
Old 04-11-2004, 05:20 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ? (69driver)

FYI, the wires are supposed to run from the tranny, forward to the engine bay, up the firewall, through a grommet, under the dash, then under the parking brake area. If you look, you may still have the clips on the firewall to hold the wires.

Sean
Thanks, that's what I neede to know. I saw in the schematics, that the wire should run from the fuse box fwd into the engine compartment, but didn't realy believe this. Thought it would make more sense running it through the tunnel above the tranny direct to the switch.
I will try to locate the old wire or just pull a new one from the fuse box.

Thanks again.

Gunther

Get notified of new replies

To reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ?

Quick Reply: reverse light switch on Hurst shifter ?