C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power windows problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:51 AM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Power windows problems!

'78/L82/4spd. Power windows. Had a problem with the passenger side window not wanting to roll up. Did notice that when the switch was operated for roll up, that the voltmeter on the dash indicated a negative drain just the same as when the drivers window did when it operated ok. Gave the door panel a couple a love taps with no help. Opened and shut the door a few times and finally while I held the switch in the close position and shut the door, the window closed as it should. I rolled the window up and down five or six times since then with no problems. I have a theory that maybe there is a bad spot on the armature where the motor stops each time the window is lowered. I plan to check all the wiring connections etc. Any thoughts, suggestions. Hate to think what a new motor may cost. :eek:
Old 04-11-2004, 01:14 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Power windows problems! (MGB)

probably a bad ground.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:16 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

My driver's side window just quit the other day as well. The last time it worked, I rolled the window up. Now, it doesn't do anything, but the passenger side works fine. Please update the thread if figure it out. Thanks. :cheers:
Old 04-11-2004, 02:27 AM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the connections to the motor. My passenger window operated randomly, the pulg-in connector was loose. I put a dab of dielectic grease in there and wrapped it with electrical tape. No problems so far.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:39 AM
redson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Power windows problems! (The_Dude)

My driver's side window just quit the other day as well. The last time it worked, I rolled the window up. Now, it doesn't do anything, but the passenger side works fine. Please update the thread if figure it out. Thanks. :cheers:
I have the same problem.About a week after I bought the '79,the drivers side window just quit..at least in the upright position.I was told the switches get corroded,so I got a new one off Ebay before I've even checked anything out.If its a motor,where is the best place to pick one up :confused: Thanks.... :chevy
Old 04-11-2004, 03:52 AM
martinsw
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really want to figure it out you need to take the inside door panel off (next time it goes bad - no sense in making work). Removing door panel is quite easy. Also allows you to clean and relube the rollers, runners, etc.
Bad spot on the armature is possible, but so are loose connections (ground and motor connector). Possibly even a bad wire (opens at a bend spot inside the insulation sometimes). If you don't have a plastic sheet between the door panel and the door metal - this would also be a good time to put on in also (helps with water leaks in rain, washing, etc.).

I just replaced my 79 passenger side regulator - as the old ones gear teeth were stripped. Also had to readjust both windows after installing new weatherstripping. Now both windows work great and much less wind noise, and best of all NO LEAKS! :)
Old 04-11-2004, 04:30 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Power windows problems! (martinsw)

this is why i like my manual windows!!
but it sounds like the engine is bad ore the connectors are a little loose
Old 04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
redson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Power windows problems! (martinsw)

I've got new weatherstripping that isnt installed yet,and a used power window motor & new switch.So hopefully I'm covered in the parts dept,(yep,shoulda got a new motor!),except for an armature.I may just have my mechanic check the connections out,when I get my rear wheel bearings done. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Power windows problems!

Quick Reply: Power windows problems!