C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 06:30 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Questions

Wondering if anyone can discribe how to "align" the headlight assembly. When in the down position one corner of one of mine sticks up above the hood line slightly. Is there a way to adjust this.

Secondly, when i turn them on the right one comes up after the left every time. I never have a problem where it doesnt come up or sags, but it always goes =>left one up=> right one up. I have replaced all of the hoses in the headlight system. Does this happen or is something else wrong?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:01 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlight Questions (DollaGreen)

I donno about the alignment, but i had the problem of the lights rising. Try lubricating all the hinges for the lights. Worked for mine. I just started spraying wd40 like crazy under there.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Secondly, when i turn them on the right one comes up after the left every time. I never have a problem where it doesnt come up or sags, but it always goes =>left one up=> right one up. I have replaced all of the hoses in the headlight system. Does this happen or is something else wrong?
That's the way mine have come up for 34 years... :)
Old 04-10-2004, 07:41 PM
68goat
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Headlight Questions (Z-man)

I beleive someone said that's due to the fact that right side hose is longer then the left side, so it takes time for the vacum.

Our '79 does the same thing

[Modified by 68goat, 12:41 AM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 10:48 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Default Re: Headlight Questions (68goat)

ttt

anyone on the alignment?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:04 PM
red79c3
Racer

[IMG][/IMG]

My 79 does the same thing up - left then right, down - right then left and I lube once a month. I guess it just one of those things...
Old 04-11-2004, 11:50 PM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

The side bearings the the headlight assy pivots on have 3 bolts each that run through elongated holes. By loosening them you are able to align the rear edge with the headlight cutout. If they sit too low at the front...I think the main headlight assy support frame can be shimmed.

Most corvettes do exactly as you described when it comes to headlight actuation...
If you notice...the Vacuum supply line runs down the drivers side to the first control valve...I think it hogs the vacuum first...when its complete there is enough to run the passenger headlight.

hope this helps
Old 04-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Scorn
Advanced

Default Re: Headlight Questions (12stepvette)

My 81 always goes right one first, left one second.

The biggest problem I do have with them is sometimes the wind blows up the right one and sometimes it doesn't close. I always feel like an idiot with one headlight up, so I just put both up (even in daylight) when that happens.

Any idea how I should fix that?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Tom Johnson
Pro

On my 71 there is an ajusting nut at the rear of the assembly that will adust the headlight up or down.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Questions

Quick Reply: Headlight Questions