C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much paint is needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Riley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much paint is needed

I am getting ready to paint the car for the first time and need to know how much base coat to buy. I don't want to buy any after as i want it to match. I have to do the whole car, door jams and Ecklers LT body panel kit. Should be praying the primer in a few days. I hope the primer goes on smooth and calms my nerves.
:cheers:
Old 04-10-2004, 02:41 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Default Re: How much paint is needed (Riley)

usually a half gallon works and then you reduce it 1 to 1 making ita full gallon, that usually covers it but lets let some others chime in first :smash:
Old 04-10-2004, 02:50 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a gallon of Dupont Chromapremier B/C for my 73 and I only used about half of it, but now I will have plenty in case I ever need to repair something. Craig
Old 04-10-2004, 03:39 PM
80TPIVette
Advanced

Whenever I do a complete color change, or want to shoot jambs, trunk, etc., I go for 3 qts of base color. Mixing it properly will give you 1.5 gallons. Once you have reduced it properly, you can store whatever you don't spray and use it for touchups later if needed.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:51 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

For S&G, what does a gallon of base go for?? I have no idea. Has anyone ever posted the true cost to paint a Vette yourself?
Old 04-10-2004, 05:29 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How much paint is needed (69stingray)

For S&G, what does a gallon of base go for?? I have no idea.
It depends on brand, color and location. I was quoted $90 (Can) per quart for PPG anniversary red. Reds are more money as are metalics.

Steve :steering:
Old 04-10-2004, 05:36 PM
geezer
Instructor

Costs vary by the color with red being the most expensive.
Two years ago I did a color change on a '78 cpe and ALL the materials, masking tape, masking paper, sand paper, bondo, primers, top coats, clears, flex additives, catalysts, reducers, buffing compound, etc. came to $1000! (This doesn't include beer either!)
To aid in using the least amount of paint to get full coverage, your last coat of primer/sealer should be close to the color of the top coat. DON'T use a dark red primer for a white car for instance.
Another tip, all of your materials should be from the same company if possible. PPG, DuPont, whatever, buy one and stick with it all the way through the job. Less chance of incompatability issues.
Also get the product sheets for each product that you plan to use. These sheets are a vault of info on what they can and can not go over and what can and can not go over them. There are drying times, mixing instructions, pot life info, etc.
Just remember, the car has to look PERFECT in primer or it will look like :U in the final color.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Riley
Instructor

Default Re: How much paint is needed (stpman)

Thanks guys, lookforward to posting pics when she is all done.
:cheers:
Old 04-10-2004, 08:43 PM
80TPIVette
Advanced

For S&G, what does a gallon of base go for?? I have no idea. Has anyone ever posted the true cost to paint a Vette yourself?

I just got a quote for Nason products. Three qts color, gallon of clear, activator for the clear, color tinted sealer, gallon of reducer: $332.31 I have my own Sata spray gun, Milwaukee buffer and pads. Tape and paper run around $25-30. Sandpaper will run me about $25-30. I think I can paint her for around $500. That includes the booth rental here at the base. Hope this helps. :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To How much paint is needed

Quick Reply: How much paint is needed