C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:46 PM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80?

How does one remove the ash tray cover? I've got my console torn down and can not figure out how to remove the cover. It needs a repaint and today is the right time to do it. Any help is extremely appreciated.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:19 PM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80? (LABulldog)

Well, with a lot more thinking, I figured it out. :crazy: There is a metal (?) pin that goes through the plastic hinge piece. You must first push that pin out (towards the door) as far as it will go then wiggle the plastic hinge out. Reverse that to put the hinge piece back in. Looked in the Hayes and GM manual and nothing (that I found) was said about this. Live and learn! I think it's time for a beer. :yesnod:
Old 04-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80? (LABulldog)

cool...I was wondering that too...
I'm in the same situation...
what paint/color are you using?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:59 PM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80? (6318)

6318, I used Krylon Semi-Flat Black. I've used it for a lot of touch-up on the "black" items on the car but unfortunately, it doesn't match the black console as good as I would like. :( The color almost has a slight "grey" look to it as compared to the black of the console (it still looks a lot better than what it looked liked before I painted it). I think that I will remove it again and try a "satin" black next time. I've also got some semi-gloss but I think that would be too glossy. Let me know your experiences once you're done. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2004, 10:20 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LABulldog,
It took me a while to figure that one out as well! No manuals that I've got show how to get it apart.
For info, I used Sperex Polyurethane satin black paint on mine & the match was almost perfect against the new console cover. I don't know if you can get Sperex paint in the US, but if you do, satin black might be called flat black there?
:cheers:
Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Try rustoleum semi gloss black. Its a pretty good match to the gauge bezel.Then go over the silver pinstripe with a krylon silver leaf marker and it will look like new. Just my 2 cents.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80?

Quick Reply: Stupid Question! How to remove ash tray cover on an '80?