C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 ignition on old style small blocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default LS1 ignition on old style small blocks

So I was reading this thread in C4 about putting the LS1 individual coil setup on LT1's.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...=629638&page=1

I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a similiar system for Older small blocks like in our C3s. I think its some form of a crank trigger system.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:58 PM
American Boy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (Guru_4_hire)

I tried to figure something out a while ago and the big problem is the timing advance. A crank trigger is available already, the coils are easy to figure out but how to manage a timing curve that respond to rpm change and vacuum change is out of my league. Maybe someone have an idea??

Stephan
Old 04-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (American Boy)

apparently they have a conversion that will turn it into an LT1
Old 04-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

There are quiet a few F body guys doing the LS1 coil pack crank trigger conversion. I personally know and met Marc a few yrs ago but he live in (cincinati? spelling) did the conversion on his supercharged 383LT1 camaro. He say its running great. But now you are the only one have done the conversion the C4, I sure some of us will follow your foot steps.
This is the post that interests me

as well as this one.

I may have worded it wrong, the opti sends the hi res and low res signals, that's it, there is no high voltage going on anymore
It would seem to me that if we could simulate the LT1's signals we could run the same conversion.

I am also interested in the crank trigger conversion. I want to know how that works.

If anybody has any ideas let me know.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I believe the Optispark is just like a distributor, telling which cylinders to fire when. I think it's driven off of the front of the cam instead of the back like a distributor. I opted to do the LS1 coils, along with the rest of the engine and transmission. I can help out if you want to swap the whole motor.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (Scooter70)

so you put LS1 coils on your small block, or you swapped in an LS1
Old 04-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

LS1 in my '70. :auto:
Old 04-10-2004, 09:21 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (Scooter70)

LS1 in my '70. :auto:
you gonna have it ready for summer? attending any COM events this year?

Old 04-10-2004, 09:32 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (turtlevette)

I have done a little research on this conversion for my LT1. To be honest its hardley worth it for that motor much less a distributor fired motor.

Bottom line, the LS1 engine in its entirity is still king of the road.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (LAvetteman)

King of the road??? well, 400 hp from 350 ci isn't bad for a NA engine, but that goal is relatively easy in most 355 ci SBCs'.....so other than weight, just what is the advantage to the LS1???, I mean since we are talking hotrodding here the EPA and inspections are out the window either way none of this stuff passes inspections, flunking on the 'visuals'.....which is stupid, I know, but never the less is the case....

so I have thought of doing a coil pack conversion to my old style L98, so the questions I have about it revolve around just exactly what does that project bring to the table??? any better HP?? better running??? HOW??? and I can't visualize any improvement....once the ignition is computer controlled, it's over...

GENE
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (mrvette)

King of the road??? well, 400 hp from 350 ci isn't bad for a NA engine, but that goal is relatively easy in most 355 ci SBCs'.....so other than weight, just what is the advantage to the LS1???, I mean since we are talking hotrodding here the EPA and inspections are out the window either way none of this stuff passes inspections, flunking on the 'visuals'.....which is stupid, I know, but never the less is the case....

so I have thought of doing a coil pack conversion to my old style L98, so the questions I have about it revolve around just exactly what does that project bring to the table??? any better HP?? better running??? HOW??? and I can't visualize any improvement....once the ignition is computer controlled, it's over...

GENE
efficeancy
there are 9 second naturally aspirated non juiced LS1s out there now, thats pretty ahrd to do with any other small block, expecially considerign they are just using ported stock heads.
You coudl control the whole system via the computer from the LS1, i cant see any wya to run the individual coil ignition, and to do that youd have to use all the sensors that the LS1 has. So you could spend about twice as much as a LS6 costs to install the system on a gen 1 sbc, and gain 5 hp
i dont see the point, yet. I like HEI
You might be able to modify a MSD setup to run one, but that woudl require programming and a bunch of gurus.

MAtt
Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (pillowmeto)

Yea Mrvette, what pillow said!!!!

And remember, the LS1 is a 346 not a 350. :)

Like I said, alot of drama with very little benefit for an LT1 much less a distributor fired engine.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:45 AM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (LAvetteman)

I looked closely to the LS1 system and I don't think that it would fit a carburated small block without major headache. That would mean building a box that control the timing advance.

I think that for an old style small block with distributor and mechanical advance, the best improvement would be an MSD box. That's with an engine that rev over 5000 RPM and that produce over 350 hp. Under those 2 conditions, I think personnaly that the stock ignition system is quite adequate.

Stephan

[Modified by American Boy, 10:47 AM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 11:42 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (American Boy)

if anyones really serious about this, look into electromotives set up. it uses a coil for each 2 cylinders and is completely adjustable w/out a computer. you set your idle timing via the crank trigger . turn a screw to adjust max timing. uses a map sensor like the vacuum advance.
the benefit of these type systems are longer coil charging time. it only fires the plug once per engine revolution( ls1) or twice for the electromotive set up.

[Modified by neverendingproject, 10:43 PM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-12-2004, 10:46 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (neverendingproject)

Well, I allready have for some years now...a hotrod open port version of the injection with HEI and hotrod chip....

so apparently my conclusion is correct, there is no particular advantage to the dist-less coil package....crank triggers are not all that hard to rig up, and cam sensors are even easier....so the use of the computer is allready being done, I guess it's case closed for me anyway....

no???

GENE
Old 04-12-2004, 11:35 AM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks (neverendingproject)

http://getfuelinjected.com/products/hpx.html

That unit is really nice with a price of 600$ plus the map sensor. It's a great improvement over the mechanical advance. You have a nitrous retard built in and two Rev limiter too. :smash:

Stephan

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 ignition on old style small blocks

Quick Reply: LS1 ignition on old style small blocks