C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on cutting springs (fronts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 02:09 AM
82Red
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions on cutting springs (fronts)

I think I got it down on how to remove and reinstall the front springs - thanks to everyone in the group.

My question now is - does matter at what point of a coil can it be cut? Let's say, if I cut 2/3 of a coil, will it fit back properly where it was sitting? Or does the spring have to be cut only at certain points to align with where it was sitting?

Lastly, is there a formula on how many inches of coil I need to cut to get, lets say, a 2" drop?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2004, 02:20 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions on cutting springs (82Red)

It all varies with the rate of the spring, its age, and a whole bunch of other factors. I've heard a lot of things. One rule-of-thumb I've heard that kind of makes sense is that one coil is GENERALLY about 1.5" worth of drop, give or take. Sort of.

I have no personal experience, though. Whack at your own risk.

[Modified by The Dude, 11:20 PM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Questions on cutting springs (The Dude)

Do a search for "front coils" or "cutting coils". There's been a lot of discussion on the topic and opinions are varied and can lead to a heated BB vs SB type debate! :D
Old 04-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Questions on cutting springs (Jughead)

I've cut about 1 1/3 coil off and in the weeds. Front tire size also makes a difference. It's also a good time to measure the car before you pull them and adjust the cut to level the car.

FYI- After you put the car back on the ground, it will settle another 1/2" to 1". So cut alittle every other day until you get it right.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:46 PM
mbeeman350
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'09

Default Re: Questions on cutting springs (82Red)

I just cut my front springs this past week on my 72. I cut a total of 1" off the height of the springs which is almost 1 full coil. The height of the car, at the wheel opening, now is 27". Before it was 28 1/2 ". I cut 1/4 of a coil at a time to get to the desired height. I had read a recent article in
Chevy High Performance Magazine tha t for every 1" removed from the springs height that equates to 1.5 to 2" of in lowered car height.
The springs had been replace by a previous owner and looked like big block springs. The car sat too high in the front (look at my pix in my sgnature).
I will be happy to answer any quesrtions on "how to" It is a lot easier to do than I ever thought!!!
Mark :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on cutting springs (fronts)

Quick Reply: Questions on cutting springs (fronts)