C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Default switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps?

If I remember right you can't just do an oil change and go on your way.. and i didn't see anything in the tech tips.. any ideas?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:38 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (Markm10431)

I am planning on making the switch in about 400 more miles when the engine has 5K on it.

I cannot think of anything else to do, but drain out the old stuff and pour in the new stuff. :confused:
Old 04-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (Markm10431)

When I had my replacement motor put in my 82, I started with Mobil One right off - right out of the box, so to speak. Never had any problems - 120K miles later.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:03 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Remove plug from pan,
drain old oil,
replace plug in pan,
add new oil................. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 PM
69driver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (Larry82)

It's my understanding that once you start with natural oil, you want to stick with it unless you plan on replacing some seals. I'm new at working on motors so please correct if I'm way off.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
pik
Racer

If you have had any major engine work completed, eg camshaft change etc.
you would want to break those pieces in with regular oil. Then switch to synthetic.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (69driver)

It's my understanding that once you start with natural oil, you want to stick with it unless you plan on replacing some seals. I'm new at working on motors so please correct if I'm way off.
That was true with the first synthetics many decades ago. Nowadays synth has seal conditioners. Still, a seal that was close to failing can be pushed over the edge with synth, but chances are it would have started leaking soon anyway.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:24 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (yellow 72)

Remove plug from pan,
drain old oil,
replace plug in pan,
add new oil................. :yesnod: :cheers:
you forgot....
remove oil filter
pour oil into new oil filter
spin on oil filter and hand tight.... :thumbs:

That's it...nothing to it.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:18 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (GDaina)

Just like any oil change you want to warm the engine up first. Then you just change oil and filter as normal, using the synthetic oil. I would certainly keep an eye out for drips/leaks afterwards.... just in case. MJ
Old 04-10-2004, 06:22 PM
74droptop
Pro

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (MNJack)

Why warm up engine first never understood that? Why not drain it when cold that way you get all of the oil out nothing in the top of the motor.Be sure when replacing filter to fill it with oil so pressure is there right away. Been doing oil changes this way for many years haven't had any problems.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:25 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (74droptop)

I change my oil cold, while it's all still in the pan. Another benefit is dealing with a cold engine and cold oil, rather than being scalded by hot oil, hot headers, hot cats, etc.

Also, I recently switched to synthetic after running with organic. Knock on wood, I've had no issues. So far.

[Modified by joeveto, 7:26 PM 4/10/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 09:54 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last oil change, I switched our other car to synthetic, a 97 Prizm. Everything seems fine, no leaks or comsumption. :thumbs:

The Vette has too many oil seaps. I'm afraid to try it.

[Modified by isosceles, 12:23 PM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 10:02 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (74droptop)

1. warm oil flows better.
2. Warm oil contains more contaminants, clod oil leaves em on the bottom of the pan.

besides by the time you get the plug out 99% of the oil is in the pan anyway

Why warm up engine first never understood that? Why not drain it when cold that way you get all of the oil out nothing in the top of the motor.Be sure when replacing filter to fill it with oil so pressure is there right away. Been doing oil changes this way for many years haven't had any problems.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:38 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (427V8)

and you can go back to regular after going synthetic, its just a myth that once you change, you cant go back

MAtt
Old 04-11-2004, 12:02 AM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (pillowmeto)

Question Matt, then why would people say that because I have been told there is a slight film on the walls, that said if they change back to reg. oil, then this film will do damage to the walls?

Have you heard this is, or is it bs too? :confused:
Old 04-11-2004, 03:06 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (wgc_3)

Hi

why would people say that because I have been told there is a slight film on the walls, that said if they change back to reg. oil, then this film will do damage to the walls?
Must be bull..t , as you know you can buy synthetic , semi synthetic & natural dynosaur oil. How would they manage to mix natural with synthetic to get this semi synthetic stuff ?

What I heard is, if you have a week end driver only, it might be better to use the natural oil as it sticks better to the cylinder walls. The synthetic oil is thinner and runns off the walls quicker. That's possibly why leaks show up that could not be realised before with natural oil.

I switched to semi synthetic oil, once because of week end driver only, second because of cost as my engine does burn oil.
Just thought I give it some of the good stuff. :jester

Rgds. Gunther

[Modified by WESCH, 2:07 AM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (WESCH)

What I heard is, if you have a week end driver only, it might be better to use the natural oil as it sticks better to the cylinder walls. The synthetic oil is thinner and runns off the walls quicker.
Really? I thought residual adhesion was one of the main benefits of synth?

[Modified by 6318, 4:14 PM 4/11/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps?

Old 04-11-2004, 11:45 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (6318)

I was changing my oil cold also, seemed a lot easier, but I read somewhere (not a thread, but someplace I considered an authoritative source) that if you change your oil cold you might as well not even bother!! :eek:

The oil should be changed after driving, while it is still warm. This assures the impurities are held in suspension.
here is a guy who thinks both ways are ok!! :)
There are two methods of performing an oil change. The first is to normalize the engine operating temperature. That requires the engine to idle for a time or a few trips around the neighborhood. Now that the engine is warm, drain the sump and change the filter. The thought behind this is contaminates are suspended in the oil and when the sump is drained, the harmful contaminates drain with the oil.

The second method is to drain the oil when the engine is cool, when a good percentage of the oil has settled into the sump. For a couple of years, I practiced the first method. Both have merit; however, the second method works best for me. With either method, the most important step is to develop a routine that works. The location where the procedure is performed should be reasonably level as most sump bottoms are formed to tilt toward the drain plug.

then there is the middle view
You want the engine oil slightly warm but not up to full operating temperature hot.
ac delco website says:

Oil Change

Steps for Draining Your Old, Dirty Oil

Start the car — running the engine so that the dirty oil can warm up, drain thoroughly, and more completely rid itself of built-up oil sludge. After 15 minutes, shut off your car and wait 5 minutes before you begin, so the engine can cool.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:09 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps? (MNJack)

this is :crazy: but it just goes to show you that it's true what they say...you ask a question and you will get five different answers, and all five are valid.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Chumpzilla
Pro

As far as switching from natural to synthetic, for a long time I was under the same impression some here were.... that you couldn't do it after running sythetic for some period of time... or that you couldn't switch back. A friend of mine who is a ChemE working for ExxonMobil assures me you can switch back and forth with no issues. She says the rumors you hear about bad things happening when you switch are bogus. I still use natural in all my vehicles but have thought about switching to sythetic. That's just one person's view, but it's a person I have some faith knows what they're talking about. Take it for what's it's worth.

As far as changing oil hot or cold, I have a '95 Camaro with over 150k miles on it and I have always changed it cold (usually) or just lukewarm, so as not to burn myself. And the engine is still running strong. For a '95 Camaro, that's pretty impressive. So I think changing your oil cold isn't leaving me any worse off than those who change it warm or hot.

[Modified by Chumpzilla, 5:30 PM 4/11/2004]

Quick Reply: switching from natural to synthetic oil.. what are the steps?