C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley

I have (or had) a TI Dist that UPS damage in shipment. The base that the machanical weights mount to (and rotor) got bent (bad). This is the 263 race dist that has no Vac Advance. Can this base plate be changed or am I looking at a new shaft? Also, is the shaft the same in all dist??? Thanks
Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley (Mr D.)

As far as I know the only parts that interchange are the tach drive side gear and the camshaft gear EVERYTHING else is special and not available (at least I have never seen it. I believe the piece you refer to is the mainshaft...they are simple to disassemble, take it apart and take a look...
...redvetracr
Old 04-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley (redvetracr)

The main shaft is two parts, the main shaft and pole piece at the top of the assembly. There is a chace both could be bad, check out Hemmings Motor News and look for a guy named Dave Fieldler at TI ignitions in Indianna, he is one of the best in the nation. Parts are avaliable, don't dispare. The shaft is removed from the top of the distributor by removing the pin on the drive gear at the bottom, the pole pice will then slide down the shaft after removing the advance weight springs (I think GM may still service the pole piece, check GM parts direct for status.) You should also check the rotation of the drive gear if it is a "ball bearing" distributor as many were set-up for a 2 gear driven camshaft with a reverse rotation drive gear on them.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:19 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley (Solid LT1)

No need to look in Hemmings... Dave Fielder is at http://www.tispecialty.com or 765-962-4265 make sure you tell him you have a ball bearing #263
...redvetracr

Get notified of new replies

To Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley

Quick Reply: Need TI Dist Help: Redracer right up your alley