C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures

I know, I know...

Everyone else is documenting their projects, but I thought I'd add to the mix. Here's my Part I - Removal of the Console. I've reduced the size of the pictures to low quality jpgs so that it is about as dial-up friendly as possible. Actually, I've already got the transmission and the engine out, but putting everything on a web page is what *really* takes the time (amongst other things in life...). :lol:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/zma.../Trans01.shtml
Old 04-09-2004, 03:44 AM
jetlag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (Z-man)

Lots of celebration!

Good job ! :party:
Old 04-09-2004, 05:36 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (jetlag)

thats a nice job!!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the installation of your Keisler Tremec 5 speed. Mine was supposed to be deliverd today 4/9/04. But, when I called to check I was told. Delayed 3 weeks. Won't get it until the first of May. I down loaded what you posted. Just to have a reference. I can't hardly wait. That and my new ZZ4 385 hp fastburn that is in already should complete my drive train. :steering:
Old 04-10-2004, 02:22 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (Brown78)

I'm pleased with the Tremec & the auxiliary parts from Keisler. If you look at the transmission posts and read between the lines, I believe the extra cost is worth the time spent scrounging for extensions, cutting the tunnel, cutting/modifying the crossmember, getting a drive shaft made, etc. Compared to the Muncie, the Tremec is a very stout unit. Can't wait until it's on the road!
I also ordered the McCloud clutch pack. When I took off the bellhousing and looked inside, I was shocked to see how little there is to a manual clutch setup! I always thought these things were very complex, etc. Oh well, live & learn...more photos soon to come. (It's snowing like a bandit and freezing out, so it may be a few days...) :)
Old 04-10-2004, 05:38 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

:cool: Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. On the parking brake cover, are there just the 4 screw in the front side(s)? Or is there one in the storage compartment too?

Old 04-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (Jughead)

Great webpage Zman. I love it. Looking good so far. When you get the thing installed, make sure there is plenty of step 2 left over for the celebrations. You will love it. :thumbs: Looking forward to the next installment.

Len, there should be one screw in the middle compartment if I remember correctly. It is quite possible that some one has had the parking brake console out before and did not put the screw back in. This was the case in mine and apparently in Zmans also.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (Eddie 70)

I only have one thing to add. You need a beer cooler in the garage. Fighting for space with milk and orange juice is stressfull. :jester

Looks great, I've got a new lower replacement boot if you want it cheap. budman-78@comcast.net.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

:cool: Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. On the parking brake cover, are there just the 4 screw in the front side(s)? Or is there one in the storage compartment too?
If you've ever tried to get that rear bolt out, you know why some people leave them off. I usually have to contort my left hand in there to get it out. I have pretty small hands so it's not that bad. Those of you with big hands and kids might have an easier time getting them to help out.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:03 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (Scooter70)

if I ever find a job, a tremmec is on my list :D enjoy and looking good so far :cheers:
Old 04-10-2004, 03:11 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for a very nice service and much needed help to those of us on the forum that are "mechanically challenged" ! I have bookmarked your site and I will check it often.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Z-man
Race Director

There used to be one there. The brake cover you see is a replacement one and I never replaced that screw since it didn't really fit correctly. The original cover was broken when I gave a couple of gals a ride home. In her effort to get close to me, one sat on the center and, even though she was pretty slim, it still cracked. What could I say???

:lol:

You need a beer cooler in the garage.
Well, actually, that IS the garage refridge... :D

[Modified by Z-man, 5:19 PM 4/10/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Z-Man, You brought up another question that I don't need to ask. I was thinking about changeing the clutch. Even though the one I have Isn't that old. I put it in with the speed shop lemon. Probably 4 to5 K And it was a stock clutch and pressure plate. I don't know much about clutch's. I think if I've gone this far why pinch pennies. What that saying " Penny wise and a dollar stupid" Something like that. Whats the difference between McCloud and stock?? Not to bust BB's But, it was in the high 80's today. So I went for a :steering: to West Palm. :p: Did I tell you I live in South Florida :cool: I freeze when the temp. drops to 72 degrees :lol: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 04-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Default Re: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures (Brown78)

Whats the difference between McCloud and stock??
I think they are of the same general construction, but the McCloud is beefier. It was recommended by the Keisler folks for higher hp cars, so I ordered it. Like you, I decided that I might as well get a new one as long as I had everything taken apart. I'm using the stock flywheel & pressure plate. I only do this once every 25 years or so... :lol:

High 80's? Wow! Sounds nice, but you get used to the cold. Around here folks start sunning themselves in the spring when it gets above 60 or so. We are in for some 60 - 70 degree weather this week, so it will be just perfect!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I can say now it was well worth it. Put about 250 miles on so far and it is a different car. Nice on the highway and the shifting is much better than the Muncie. Mine fit with no problems and everything went smooth. If you are thinking about this swap just do it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:21 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:cool: :cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures

Quick Reply: 5-Speed Transmission Swap - Part I pictures