C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-brake rebuild procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default E-brake rebuild procedure?

I have the manual, I just thought I remembered seeing an online tutotrial on "how it's done" with pictures. Just got my Stainless hardware today, and sometime soon would like to tear out the nasties and get it working again. I hear it's a pain...anyone care to venture a guess as to how long it would take a reasonably handy first timer?

-Roy
Old 04-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: E-brake rebuild procedure? (Grinchia)

You might want to combine the e-brake job with a rear wheel bearing inspection/grease/replace job. It's really easy to do the brakes with the spindles out, but really, really :mad FRUSTRATING! :banghead: With the spindles in.

[Modified by Big Fish, 9:54 PM 4/8/2004]
Old 04-09-2004, 04:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Roy
They can be done with the spindles in place. You need to get the rotor off(rivets)then use a set of needle nose pliers and dental floss to hold the hold down springs compressed. There is "special" tool for this which is nothing more then a screwdriver with slots cut in with a cutoff wheel. If you have a Dremal or die grinder you can make one easy enough.
You have to work through the flange holes and you won't be able to replace one of the hold down pins so be careful around them. For the side with the open hold down pin use some 5 minute epoxy to hold it in place or RTV. Use masking tape on the shoes so you don't get them dirty and be sure to clean off the tape glue with brake cleaner after you get them on.
Take your time and it can be done.
Gary
Old 04-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Default Re: E-brake rebuild procedure? (gtr1999)

Thanks, I have patience (tinkering is my unwinding mechanism).

Someday I'll have to pull the spindles, but since the rear bearings still seem to be holding up for the moment I'll hold off. I have a friend who apparently has the magical tool for the job when the day comes.

When I replaced the rear rotors a couple of months ago I got a peek at the E-brake hardware, and it was NASTY...rust everywhere. I was able to un-sieze the adjustor star wheel, but even after tweaking that I can't get things to hold, so it's all coming out.

The shoes were in bad shape too, with some rust and crumbling of friction material in spots. I have replacements for them too...will I be able to swap them with the spindle still mounted on the car?

-Roy

[Modified by Grinchia, 9:45 PM 4/12/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

The shoes were in bad shape too, with some rust and crumbling of friction material in spots. I have replacements for them too...will I be able to swap them with the spindle still mounted on the car?

-Roy

Yes you can replace the shoes too. Don't bother with the ss shoes the only time I used a pair they were poorly made. I had to open up the slots for the star wheel. Std steel shoes will last a long time and using ss hardware should solve the frozen linkage problem.
Gary
Old 04-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: E-brake rebuild procedure? (gtr1999)

I'd give it an entire afternoon. In the "degree of difficulty" I consider them about the same as standard car brakes with shoes. I used the VB stainless kit and didn't have problems except that everything is cramped. I was able to replace everything and don't have problems with the stainless shoes. Since they last forever with essentially no wear, that was the last time for me... :)
Old 04-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Default Re: E-brake rebuild procedure? (Z-man)

Z-man:

Thank you! As it happens, tomorrow is my afternoon off, and the E-brake rebuild is the chosen project. I just noticed somebody else posted the same question today(?) and got some further helpful info that I've printed up for my attempt.

-Roy

Get notified of new replies

To E-brake rebuild procedure?

Quick Reply: E-brake rebuild procedure?