C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are the shifter and clutch throw so long in these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:21 AM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Re: Why are the shifter and clutch throw so long in these cars? (adamdinat)

I don't know why the throw is long long but if you change the clutch throw then you better start doing weight training on your left leg.

Less throw will mean less leverage, hence a harder clutch pedal.

[Modified by stingry, 10:22 AM 4/8/2004]
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Why are the shifter and clutch throw so long in these cars?

When I bought this car I was surprised at how long the clutch and shifter throws were. After driving my buddies Mustang and talking to a C5 guy at work it makes sense that a shorter travel is desirable. Is there a reason these cars were built with such long travel on the clutch and shifter? Does anyone have any successful mods to shorten them up? :steering:

[Modified by adamdinat, 10:09 PM 4/8/2004]
Old 04-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why are the shifter and clutch throw so long in these cars? (adamdinat)

Not sure what trans you have but on the muncie there are 2 sets of holes for the shifter linkage on the trans shifter arms, look at them and see if you have 2 sets of holes and if so move them to the ones closest to the pivot point, that will shorten up the shifter throws. When I first bought mine it would bang a little on the shifter plate, now it is much shorter although the shifter itself is pretty much wore out.

Now that i think about it I think there is also 2 sets of holes on the z-bar lower arm that links to the clutch fork, again use the hole closest to the pivot point. I am going to chekc mins this weekend and switch it if there is a second hole. :confused:

[Modified by Fevre, 10:17 PM 4/8/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Why are the shifter and clutch throw so long in these cars?

Quick Reply: Why are the shifter and clutch throw so long in these cars?