C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:17 AM
carnut114
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! (SuprJames)

I had three pin holes in my gas tank when i bought it. I kept smelling gas and couldn't figure out where is was coming from then one time i looked on the right side of the spare tire and saw gas driping onto the muffler and siziling off. Then i replaced the tank quickly.

Eric
Old 04-08-2004, 12:48 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Those kinds of stories are so scary. I just fixed a craked and leaking hose in another car. This stuff is very important to attend to. Fire extinguishers are standard equipment in all my cars regardless of its age. I strongly recommend getting one for every car.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! (87bob)

Was it the return line from the fuel pump to the tank or the vapor line from the tank to the canister. If it was the line from the tank to the canister I don't think there is supposed to be that much fuel in it, and you may want to check and/or replace the check valve at the tank.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:18 PM
sjr1971
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! (carnut114)

On '71s there is a fuel vapor recovery syst. The vent for the gas tank is in the drivers side wheelwell. There is a plastic 2 piece mimi tank just on the drivers side of the gas tank seen from the drvside wheel well. Mine was missing the lower 1/2 of the minitank. Good thing I have sidepipes. Pinched off line to minitank and vented the gas cap. Adios gas vapor recovery.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:53 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!!

On a trip to Vettes on the Rockies last year we had a strange fuel leak. It acted as if it were comming out of the Evap canister. At times there was a stream not just a trickle. Not having the benefit of a garage and tools it stopped after a while so we didn't worry about it we thought it was a altitude problem we had just filled the tank. While working on it getting it ready for this summer's driving I had to pull the Evap canister to get to the windshield washer bottle to replace the pump. When I did I found the problem, the return line to the tank had cracked it is just rubber fuel line hose. The reason why this would be a big deal is if I had side pipes the would have run right under the area where the fuel was spilling out and we would have been toast. So if your working in this area check and make sure that hose is still pilable. Just a word to the wise.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:55 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! (87bob)

Another story (and reason for a fire extinguisher). Going down the highway on my way to class not too long ago in my '82 truck, I caught a faint whiff of gas, but the smell quickly went away. I dismissed it and kept driving. When I got to school and shut off my truck I heard a sizzling noise. Gas was actually BOILING on the manifold!!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:30 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem, every timetime i would fill up my vette i would smell gas very strong...turns out my fuel filler ...the part that bolts to the top of the tank had holse rusted through it.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! (munday)

sometime during the C3 run, GM started placing a rubber bladder in the tank; though I forget what year that was???
Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!! (Mike Mercury)

Also watch the rubber hose to the tank.

George

Get notified of new replies

To Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Don't go up in flames!!!!!!!!!!!