C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Repair Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 05:20 PM
dsundberg
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Repair Update

Last September I posted a topic about knowing your brake parts vendor. I had very bad experience with Muskegon Brake. While my opinion of them has not changed, I would like to change my recommended supplier.

After reading several comments on my topic, I decided to investigate the use of o-ringed calipers. I found a place that sells this type
http://vettepartsonline.com/

and they were great to deal with. I bought a pair of calipers for the rear and I can honestly say that I have never had better brakes, since buying this car in 1989. There is very little peddle travel and they are very firm. I can't believe that this design would make that much difference, but it did. I left the fronts alone, but they will go to o-rings in the future.

BTW they are cheaper than Muskegon Brake and promised me that I could return them under the lifetime warranty even if they leaked. I guess that remains to be seen, but one thing for sure, Muskegon Brake wouldn't honor my warranty and I won't ever buy from them or recommend them again.

For those of you that didn't read the topic, my warranty was denied because thay said I had excessive runnout, which was not true.

:thumbs:
Old 04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Brake Caliper Repair Update (dsundberg)

Where are these guys located and whose the owner?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 04-07-2004, 06:57 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I think thats "Precision" in FL. the guy`s name is frank Ferrando (sp?)
...redvetracr
Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Also consider Vette Brakes who is a supporter of the Forum AND great to deal with. :cheers:
Old 04-07-2004, 07:41 PM
80TPIVette
Advanced

Well, here's what I did. It was very economical and I got the same end result as far as great brakes go. I got 2 front reman calipers from Advance Auto Parts and 2 rears from Autozone. I ordered a O-ring conversion kit from VBP and performed the change over myself. Now I have awesome brakes for around $345. :cheers:
Old 04-09-2004, 10:36 AM
dsundberg
6th Gear

Default Re: Brake Caliper Repair Update (80TPIVette)

I'm sure that what you did resulted in good brakes, but the vendor I listed in my post only gets $50.00 each (exchange) per caliper. That would be cheaper and less work. :)
Old 04-09-2004, 11:41 AM
PatG
Burning Brakes

I bought my o-rings and zero tolerance pistons from the same place and put them in my previously sleeved calipers. I have not had to touch the brakes in over 2 years now. Great product but I believe that some people have had customer service issues. On the other hand, the guy I talked with was helpful and the service was excellent.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Brake Caliper Repair Update (PatG)

I got a bunch of stuff from http://www.vettepartsonline.com They are outstanding people to deal with. The sales guy was very helpful and spant a lot of time on the phone with me help me choose the right pads for how I drive. I also bought new rotors at the same time. He custom turned them to properly break in the pads we chose. They were the supplier for Zero-Tolerance.

They called me on a saturday morning to verify that I had recieved everything. It took me several monthe to get around to installing everything, but they were very patient about geting the cores back. BTW for some reason they didn't charge for the cores up front.

The brakes are awesome now! Quality parts combined with the Hydroboost make for world class braking!

~Jay
Old 04-09-2004, 12:10 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Brake Caliper Repair Update (redvetracr)

MY MISTAKE!! these are two different companies... I know nothing about vette parts online... Precision is fixvetteparts.com
...redvetracr

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Caliper Repair Update

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Repair Update