C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area?

I need to get the air working on my 34 year old daily driver - need someone who knows a POA from a POS and can upgrade to a Sanden compressor and R-134a. PLEASE let me know if you know someone good around here. THANKS!!!

Old 04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
73ragtop
Instructor

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (Tex71BB)

Are you in luck! Our resident air conditioning expert is Zwede. I believe he even has a 71 like yours. I think he may live in Plano. I don't know if he works for beer like Lars, but he has a really good section on his web page about redoing his a/c and retrofitting R134A in his shark. Chime in, Zwede. I live in Denton and have factory air in my 1973, but it uses the VIR system, unlike yours. I also find that no matter how good one's air condtioning is, it is useless in Texas with the top down. Since I only put the top up to wash mine, I have little use for it.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (73ragtop)

I was going to say the same thing as 73 :) :lol:
Old 04-07-2004, 04:30 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (goofygrin)

I'll be happy to help out with advice, but will be insanely busy for the next several weeks. Moving out of a 1 bedroom apt into a 3-car garage house. I'm doing some projects on the house as I move in (re-doing the living room, adding lights and outlets in the garage etc) so free time will be non-existant. But as I said, I can alsways help out with advice. Take a look at the website in my sig and that should give you an idea on what needs to be done. If you get the system mechanically sound you can swing by and I'll vacuum and charge it for you.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:23 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (Master Ho)

Good luck. Summer's coming !!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (zwede)

Markus - that is one heck of a nice, generous offer. I don't know much about A/C, though, and too old to learn any new tricks. I'm looking for a shop where I can just drop off the car and come back later and have cold air blowing out the vents.

If you need any help with your move, let me know. I'd be especially willing to drive your car over to the new house for you. :D :D :D :D
Old 04-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

I've had a couple of people recommend Blend Air in Irving. Anyone know anything about them?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
marioncole
Advanced

I have a 1974 that I did a complete rebuil on. I have a ZZ4 crate motor in it and DeWitts aluminum radiator with dual Spal fans. I bought a Sanden 508 AC compressor, new condensor, new evaporator, and new accumaltor from Air Pro in Mesquite. I just had the system charged with 134 at McCains over by Texas instrument (on Floyd Circle). The tech wasn't too keen on the 134. he said that I should have gone with R9 as the condensor size wasn't correct for a 134 system. The Compressor kept cycling up to a high head pressure until the electric fans kicked on. He advised that I should wire the electric fans to comeon when the AC is turned on so that air will flow through the condesor and keep the head pressure from rising. I haven't checked it out for cooling as I have been doing body work to get it ready for paint. If you need to take a look at a Sanden conversion give me a call (214-336-7850). I am in McKinney.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Tex, check with CRUSHER75060; he just had his done locally and is in Irving.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (marioncole)

Thanks, marioncole - R9? That's how much I know about A/C, I've never heard of that. I thought for auto use, it was basically either R-12 or R134a. What does the R-9 do differently?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (Master Ho)

Thanks, Master Ho - I'll check with Crusher.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (marioncole)

The tech wasn't too keen on the 134. he said that I should have gone with R9 as the condensor size wasn't correct for a 134 system. The Compressor kept cycling up to a high head pressure until the electric fans kicked on. He advised that I should wire the electric fans to comeon when the AC is turned on so that air will flow through the condesor and keep the head pressure from rising.
I have to disagree here. I've been running R134a in my 71 with the factory condenser the last 4 years and the air out of the vents gets very, very cold. Low 40's on a 90+ day is no problem.

He is correct about the electric fans. You have to have air moving over the condenser whenever the AC is on. I wired mine so that AC will run the fans on low speed (the two fans connected in series), and if the engine gets hot they switch to full speed. This way I minimize the noise.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:42 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

zwede,

I need to get someone to look at my 70's AC. It just may need a re-charge, but I don't have the tools. I just picked up the car last fall and I've been focused on the brakes and other more critical issues until now.

I'd be willing to buy Beer, lunch, help wire electrical for some assistance - if you could give it a look. I'm in no real hurry, but if you need help with your electrial now - just give a shout.

Oh by the way, nice car - very nice.

[Modified by 1970-Bronze, 10:45 AM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (1970-Bronze)

zwede,

I need to get someone to look at my 70's AC.
Sounds like we can make a deal. :)

I will need help with wiring the overheads in the garage and I can diagnose your AC. I'm having the garage epoxied next weekend, but the weekend after that would be a good time.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:22 PM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Sure, no problem. Let me know when you need some help.

I epoxied mine before I moved in to my house. I did mine with the two part kit from home Depot. It's great. Just make sure you spend the extra time in the prep work.

If your looking to have it professionally done, I do know a guy and might be able to get you a discount.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
zwede
Race Director

Default Re: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area? (1970-Bronze)

I have a guy doing it as well as a sink and workbench. I've identified a number of things I want to do before moving in and it was getting to be too much, so that's why I have the contractor do some of it. They get better deals on materials, so the difference in price between me doing it and having it done came to 20%.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:38 PM
marioncole
Advanced

Sorry about that. I don't know where I ever came up with typing R9 when I meant R12. When it gets hot, I'll post how well this system cools with 134.

Get notified of new replies

To Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area?

Quick Reply: Know any good A/C shops in the Dallas area?