C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven Front Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven Front Ride Height

Have a 1980. New front suspension (original springs) and new rear suspension. Just got it aligned. Measure the ride height and in the rear it is 28 in. on both sides. In the front the passengers side is high at 28.5 in and the drivers side is 27.75. I can see no damage to the frame. I measure from the frame to the ground in front on both sides and there is a .75 in difference. How can I resolve this? Should I cut a 1/4 off the passengers side spring to see if that evens things out? If I do this will that have any effect on the alignment, and if so would it be enough to go back to the alignment shop for adjustment?

Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Uneven Front Ride Height (Jmccreary)

Make absolutely sure that the spring is up in the tower socket correctly. It is easy to get them wrong.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Jmccreary
Advanced

Default Re: Uneven Front Ride Height (wombvette)

Actually I did make sure that the spring was positioned correctly and seated when I reassembled because I was aware of the problem before the front end rebuild. So I am sure that is not the problem. I am thinking about getting some of those things you put in the spring to raise the drivers side to see how that effects the height at the other wheels. I hate to do that but it is a cheap and fast way of making the adjustment. If that works then I will probably cut the passengers sping down a bit and remove the adjusters. Does anyone know what the stock ride height should be on an '80?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:05 PM
rcastor426
Racer

Default Re: Uneven Front Ride Height (Jmccreary)

did you tighten the control are bolts with weight on car or off the car? this could be some of the problem. i have heard ifyou tighten the bushings with out all the weight on car that they can ride high.

Get notified of new replies

To Uneven Front Ride Height

Quick Reply: Uneven Front Ride Height