C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem mounting spals

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default problem mounting spals

I just received my dual spals and am having trouble mounting them. The integral shroud is warped 1/4" on both left and right edges preventing the mounting brackets from even touching the upper and lower frame chanel of the radiator. If I force it, it will put pressure on the radiator tubes at the center and most likely break them. At this point, I guess I'll have to trim the shroud to eliminate the warpage and fabricate new brakets to move the fans away from the radiator. Has anyone else had these problems mounting the fans? Did anyone need to use spacers to shim them rearwards to keep the shroud from interfering with the radiator?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:12 AM
bb Blue 73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: problem mounting spals (tsw71)

I have installed the dual spals and ran into the same problem you are describing. Had to put a 1\8" spacer between the top and bottom mounting bracket because the shroud and mounting bolts were too long.

Didn't know if the problem was with the new radiator purchased from a local vendor. Are you mounting them to a new radiator or the factory one?

BTW where are you going to mount your temp. sensor? Put mine on top of the thermostat. Should have it all wired up by next week and ready for a test.

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Default Re: problem mounting spals (bb Blue 73)

I've had this radiator for several years. I can't remember if its a Modine or Harrison, but the channels/radiator look exactly as it should. However, after measuring the bracket and distance from the channel to rear radiator surface, I know the brackets would not have worked even if the shroud had no warpage. So much for this being a simple "bolt in project".

I'm going to put the temp sensor in the right side cyl head, but mount the relays on the left side for a cleaner look. The only thing I am undecided on is wheather to run both fans off of the sensor or have one fan on the sensor and the other always on.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Could you give me the part numbers/model of the fans and related hardware/controllers ? :D
Old 04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Default Re: problem mounting spals (MotorHead)

Could you give me the part numbers/model of the fans and related hardware/controllers ? :D
I just bought the kit from Dewitts. The Kit was P/N SP460. As for individual part numbers for the components, I don't know but can check it out if needed.

BTW I just finished the modification to the fan shrouds and brackets. I removed material from the shrouds to eliminate the warpage and then fabricated some new brackets similar to the ones in the kit, but these will allow me to use existing holes in the radiator frame channel. I made the brackets to space the fan shroud 1/8" away from the radiator so there will be no rubbing anywhere. Total time.....1 hour :D It always helps to have a manufacturing plant at my disposal.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Wow. Mine bolted right up. Took longer to wire them than it did to mount them. What does Tom say about it?

Brett :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To problem mounting spals

Quick Reply: problem mounting spals