C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:36 AM
wgc_3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Trouble

I own a '82 and I am putting in a 388 ci engine it with put out about 600 hp, and 300 shot of NOS. Only problem is I know the rear end won't hold up, I have found a driveshaft, all the joints, halfshats that will with stand it, and am haveing the factory diff. rebuild, should I replace anything else? Also will the stock 700 R4 hold up?

Thank you for comments :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 04-07-2004, 12:40 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (wgc_3)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-07-2004, 07:29 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (wombvette)

Carry a nice, big basket with you. It will make it much easier when you collect up all the grenaded parts.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 AM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (gerry72)

Is there something that I am missing. Can some one give me a real answer please and tell me if it will all hold up? Is there anything I should be conserned about? Anyone? :confused:
Old 04-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

As far as the rear end goes, you might get away w/the aluminum diff for awhile w/out using the nitrous. Once you use the nitrous, I'm afraid you will probably need a basket to pick up your parts. Your answer lies within this link. http://vansteel.com/photos/index.cfm...Thumbs&e=4&s=1
Old 04-07-2004, 08:52 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A standard (not built up) 700R4 will only take about 450 hp, the aluminum differential will handle about the same. If you plan on sticky tires and expect to launch you have more to worry about than just the transmission and differential. - start thinking new halfsharts, strut rods, U-joints, trailing arms...

Van Steel will set you up.

300hp nitrous shot????? Yikes!
Old 04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (SpyderD)

Thank you all for the help. Now about the tranny would a 350 hold? Or what should I do about the tranny. I have the halfshats, sturt rods, trailing arms, joints, and the driveshaft taken care of. But about the tranny? :hurray:
Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Turbo 400 and a solid axle rear will hold up. Other than that you are playing with fire. Sounds like a fun ride if you can keep it together.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:03 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please post specifics about the 388 motor, what components you are using to generate the 600hp. Pictures would be nice too, preferably ones with you standing in the photo holding todays newspaper. I'd like to see how a 17 year old (according to your profile) builds a 600hp smallblock.

:troll
Old 04-07-2004, 05:03 PM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (sb69coupe)

It was a mistake its a 383 Competition Machine of Plano (look them up) is building it for me, all forged parts of course for the NOS, Edelbrock Vortec 200 Heads (CMP is doing the valves, rocker arms, etc.) with the Edle. Vortec Intake manifold, Demon 750 cfm carb, with a Paxton Supercharger. I am making sure everything is correct before I put it in there because I don't care to waist the money I have saved in order to make sure this engine will put out what it is hoped to, also this is an estimate it will be out of the flywheel not the wheels. Also my question is to you why doubt some one when they are asking for help? Why not try to give your opinion on the matter?

Also the intake manifold will be ported for the NOS, if you are interested in that as well.

Is there any other questions I might be able to answer for you?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, right back at you. http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/ is the place to go if you need a beefed up rear end. It does not appear that any of their beefier setups are offered for the '80 to '82 style rear suspension. That would lead me to believe that the aluminum third member is not suited to high horsepower.

Now, to answer your question, yes, there are other questions you can answer. What compression ratio are you setting up for in the 383? What model of Paxton supercharger are you going to use?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:45 PM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (sb69coupe)

When I asked CMP what compression I would be using because I wanted to know for the octane they said it would have to be 9.5:1 because of the supercharger, they make a universal supercharger for carbureted engine that is the one I am planning on going with. I asked them what was the base hp out of the engine and they said it’s about 450, and with the supercharger would be about 600. They will be using a Merlin block?! (sounds right unsure of that part)
Old 04-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

If you are using a Merlin block why only 383. Why not really use the block and go 434 or 454. Now you would make some power. A stock 350 block properly machines and setup would handle a 383 to your specs.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:46 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The general opinion among those who know is that most of us would never
require 4 bolt mains. Very extreme conditions (say 8000 RPM) would start
to require 4 bolt mains, but most of the HP builds you see only NEED 2.

Of course, no one can argue against "better safe than sorry".
With NOS and a charger, I guess I would err on the side of caution.

You could always weld in the farme brackets to use an early style rear end.
They sell all the parts, but it all adds up.

Good luck choosing which direction to go. :seeya
Old 04-08-2004, 12:58 PM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (Van Steel)

I am going with a compant out of IL, I called them up and asked them if their product could with stand the amount of HP, and torque. Their reply was it'll take more if you wanted to add it, also that if they break for what ever reason they would replace it free of charge, here is their website.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html...dent_rear.html
Old 04-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

If they have problems with a Merlin block going bigger than 383 and high doses of nitrous I say get a better engine builder. I have seen plenty of 427 SB going 800+ HP with no problems.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

The 2 bolt block could be from an 82. Not all Corvette blocks are 4 bolt blocks. Probably the majority of them are 2 bolt. I agree a stock block won't handle much more than 388 and 600 HP but a Merlin block should be able to go larger and more HP. The 2 bolt block is still OK just have them machine it for splayed 4 bolt caps and you should be OK. The heads crank and other parts are not worth that much. Someone might want them but not for much.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:08 PM
wgc_3
Instructor

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (Gordonm)

I just called the shop and asked them the question you just asked me, and they said since the NOS is so high and with the added compretion of the supercharger that if I was to use a stock block then the walls wouldnt hold and if we were to go bigger then a 383, they would also have problems.

But I thank you for asking so that way I may know.

Also, I tore apart the old block I had, I have two questions

One: What can I do with all the old parts, crank, heads, pistons, etc. is there anything I can get for them.

Secondly: The block was a two bolt main, which leaves me to believe it isnt the stock block, anyone have any opinions on the matter?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Rear End Trouble (Gordonm)

I have the halfshats, sturt rods, trailing arms, joints, and the driveshaft taken care of.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What have you done? What type of driveshaft and u-joints? Half Shafts?

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End Trouble

Quick Reply: Rear End Trouble