C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 vette fan shroud

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 PM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 vette fan shroud

I have a 76 (jan, 76 manufactured) and am missing the fan shroud. there seems to be some confusion about which one fits it. apparently there were different ones early v/s late model. I would assume a January car is early, but am not positive. another question I have is.... does the (early) shroud match previous year models... and does the (late) shroud match newer year models, or are they special for that year model only? anyone who might be knowledgable on this subject out there? sure appreciate any advice you may offer.. thank you! :confused:
Old 04-06-2004, 08:27 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Default Re: 76 vette fan shroud (TLChydraulics)

I used to have the serial number that designates early from late, can't find it. I think the easiest way to tell early/late 76 is to look at the radiator support. If the radiator rests on the bottom by two extensions coming from the support, it is early. If the radiator rests on a solid panel on the support, it is a late. You will have to look under the car to see this. If this is confusing, email me and I will send you a pick of my late 76.

The early fan shroud in for early 76 only, and is $329. The late shroud is the same for 76L-78(all) and 79-80(excluding L-82 motor). It only costs $149. I hope yours is a late car!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:08 AM
REDRED62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't really need to look at the bottom of the core support. Just remember this... Earley cars, the lower fan shroud slid over two studs on the bottom of the support and the late shroud did not. So, if you had to take off two nuts from the bottom of the fan shroud, it's early. If you did not, then it's late. The prior post is correct in that the lower support on the late car had a baffle in it and the shroud just slid in to it. The Early car fan shroud had nuts...

Another way to tell.

First design shroud used p/n 336681 shroud. I think this number is molded in the shroud. The late design shroud used p/n 14028585 shroud and I know it's molded in the shroud.

Both shrouds are plastic shrouds so you might need to look real hard. I think and correct me if I'm wrong. But the number is made in th shroud on the passenger side top of the shroud.

Red
Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: 76 vette fan shroud (REDRED62)

well i just bought this car, and it was missing from the start of my ownership, but looking at bottom area, it looks as though 2 bolts would be used to attach it at bottom, not studs with nuts. to refer to the other reply, the radiator does rest out on 2 small extension supports. i guess that means the early model?

thanks alot for the reply!!!

Loren :)
Old 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Strange thing about "early" and "late" on the '76s. I tend to think there may have been something of a transitional period on the line while that model year was being assembled. My '76 has a build date in May '76, which by all esitmates, ought to make it a "late" car. But there was quite an amalgam of both "early" and "late" parts on it.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:54 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: 76 vette fan shroud (The Dude)

Strange thing about "early" and "late" on the '76s. I tend to think there may have been something of a transitional period on the line while that model year was being assembled. My '76 has a build date in May '76, which by all esitmates, ought to make it a "late" car. But there was quite an amalgam of both "early" and "late" parts on it.
:iagree: This has been my experience as well. I don't think you can pin down "Early" and "Late" cars to a build date/VIN as it seems to apply to specific parts and not the car as a whole.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Default Re: 76 vette fan shroud (wcsinx)

:iagree:
There were several RMC's (rolling model changes) during the 76 year. I had seen a date specifically for the fan shroud one time, still can't find it. My car was also a May car, but seems to have all the changes to it. Just curious thedude, does your car have the old or new a/c compressor? What is your car #? Mine is 35817. I don't have the old compressor, but someday I will want to put the right one on.

[Modified by vetteboy1976kr, 1:44 PM 4/7/2004]
Old 04-07-2004, 02:08 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: 76 vette fan shroud (vetteboy1976kr)

Just curious thedude, does your car have the old or new a/c compressor? What is your car #? Mine is 35817. I don't have the old compressor, but someday I will want to put the right one on.
AC compressor. Well, it's loooooong gone, but it was originally the "long" style, if that makes sense. My car is No. 37343--not much newer than yours.

EDIT: Just went to the book. No. 36656 was the last car produced in May and No. 40830 was the last one put thgether in June. I guess my birthday is really early June.

[Modified by The Dude, 11:17 AM 4/7/2004]
Old 04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Default Re: 76 vette fan shroud (The Dude)

That means mine should have the "old" style compressor. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 76 vette fan shroud

Quick Reply: 76 vette fan shroud