C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Revisited

Long story here...but I need some advice.

Looking to paint my car. It has the usual chips, small cracks, etc. I wouldnt say it is awefull but not good either. Par for the course for 18 yr. paint that is on the car.

I got an estamate from an "amature" painter. Friend of a friend who does cars on the side. He would strip it all the way down and paint if for 2k to $2500. I have heard his stuff looks pretty good.

THEN took it to a well know and reputable auto body in town...same story... all the way down, fix everything....price $4500 unless something major is run into that is unseen.

THEN took it to another reputable place in town...this guy has pictures of his past vettes (drag racer) all over the wall. He gives me the same story, about vettes and the potential problems... and a quote of $8k.

Here is the dilemma...I would like the car to look better. 2K sounds really good...4500 is what i was guessing to get from a "real" shop. I would think about going either of those routes. The 8K job is out of the question.

Here is the kicker...i have read on the forum about $500 maaco jobs that look ok, but just dont last. I do not think that that is the way to go. Question is will i see a difference between the 2k and 5k job, and how much. OR is the 2k job going to go bad just like a $500 maaco job. And finally is this guy nutz with his 8k quote, or is the other professional going to run way over his guess. I know there are lots of things that can vary in the condition of the car that influence the cost, but how do I compare apples to apples when two professional paint places are that far apart???
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Paint Revisited (DollaGreen)

the guy that does jobs on the side..i'd stay away from. I'm sure hes good and all...but does he have a nice booth? is he going to do it all himself? probably take him 6-10months?? who knows..no guarantees..know what i mean.
as for the $4500 job...sounds decent enough price. are you going for a complete color change? body shop guys definitely know what they are doing.
the $8k paint job sounds good. i'd say the guy will probably take off all the doors, hood, etc. and paint everything the right way. painting is such an art..it all depends on whos dedicated enough to take the time, and do a good job. i always say in paint, you pay for what you get.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:27 PM
motown 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paint Revisited (Redshark6974)

If you get something in writing from the "side job" guy...I'd go with him.
Just make sure he is using quality materials. I did mine in the garage, stripped down to glass which meant removing 3 paint jobs with primer.
Took me a little over 3 months. If you can strip and prime you can save tons of $$ Paint work is mostly labor intensive.....wet sanding, blocking with wet sand paper....takes a lot of time.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Paint Revisited (motown 71)

Good paint requires good prep, good prep takes time and time cost $$

I knew a guy that did side jobs the only one I ever seen up close the guy paid $5000 (CDN) 10 or so years ago and hasn't taken the car out in public since (looking down the side looked like the Atlantic ocean during a hurricane). The next paint job this guy did was for his own Vette, screwed it up soooo bad (his words) he swore he would never paint another car.

If you are having someone paint it find a good shop that will stand behind their work.

JMO

Steve :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Revisited

Quick Reply: Paint Revisited