C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No secondaries for TWO YEARS?!?!? TV Made EZ users must read!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:19 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No secondaries for TWO YEARS?!?!? TV Made EZ users must read!

(Anybody using the TV Made EZ system should read this very carefully...)

I've just reinstalled my original carb (Tuned by Lars!). For the last couple of years I had an Edelbrock QJet on there. The swap was an interesting process, due primarily to the overdrive TV cable linkage.

During last year's Tuning for Beer Tour in San Antonio, Lars discovered the secondaries weren't opening on my carb. At the time, we thought it was linkage being blocked from travelling fully by the TV Made EZ adapter. True and not true, as it turns out. We got the linkage somewhat cleared up, but...

When I installed the rebuilt carb on my engine, I discovered the TV cable doohickey (for lack of a better term) was hitting the AC idle solenoid. So I removed it. At that point I could get full throttle travel, but I kept noodling around. I soon determined the secondary throttle plates were not moving at all! :eek:

I pulled the carb and learned they were being blocked shut by the carb gasket provided with the Bowtie Overdrives "TV Made EZ" system. (It consists of two gaskets and a plate that goes over the manifold, each of which has four holes which more or less line up with the throttle opening.) So I used the Lars-supplied gasket instead. Voila! Everything works again.

But the mystery deepens in terms of this whole TV cable linkage thing. After many hours of fiddling and measuring, I determined the TV cable itself has approximately 37mm of travel. The stock transmission kickdown stud on the Edelbrock QJet has about 45mm of travel, but the original Rochester QJet has roughly 37mm. But the Bowtie TV Made EZ adapter linkage was providing WAY more than both of these. To say I'm mystified is an understatement at best. :confused:

Anyhow, the bottom line is this: I'm running the TV cable linkage on using the stock kickdown stud location. I get pretty much full travel. And performance is MUCH better. The car is giving me lots of fun at WOT, and 0-60 times have probably been reduced by 2 seconds. Passing on 2 lane roads will be a lot less scary! :steering:

I'd appreciate input from other Bowtie users regarding their TV cable experiences...
:grouphug:
Old 04-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Blue70
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No secondaries for TWO YEARS?!?!? TV Made EZ users must read! (page62)

Sorry I don't have any input.
But I am putting a TV made EZ system on my 70 Camaro soon, so I just wanted to thank you for the heads up. :thumbs:
Old 04-06-2004, 02:10 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: No secondaries for TWO YEARS?!?!? TV Made EZ users must read! (page62)

Thanks for the tip. I didn't have any issues when I installed mine. However, I made my bracket that attaches to the carb trottle plate. Using the dimension given to me by BTO of needing 1.600" of linier travel, I came up with needing to be .370" off center for the cable attaching point. This is subject to change depending on how much your carb moves from idle to WOT. The part that BTO sells is ajustable for that reason.
Glad to here you solved you issues. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To No secondaries for TWO YEARS?!?!? TV Made EZ users must read!

Quick Reply: No secondaries for TWO YEARS?!?!? TV Made EZ users must read!