C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What distributor weight springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
IRON WILL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What distributor weight springs?

What springs are generally used on the weights inside the distributor for a slightly modified 350 with 9.5:1 compression? I know the more than likely everyone is different but I am trying to find out if there is one setup more common than another. I just put a new HEI distributor from Mallory on my car and I am going to be adjusting the timing on it this weekend. (coil is on top of the distributor). my sig has more info as far as engine parts. I would appreciate any input. I have read several atricles on ignition timing but none have mentioned what is better , light or heavy springs. I do however know I want full advance by 2500 RPMs. Atleast that is what I have gathered from my reading. Any help would be great , thanks.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What distributor weight springs? (IRON WILL)

I don't think there's a pat answer to this. You have to experiment with different combos to get the curve you want. The most important thing to remember is not to use springs so light that you start to advance at idle. Advance shouldn't start until around 1000-1200 rpm. If you get this then you can set your max advance for 32 - 36 degrees and let the idle timing fall where it may. Also, some springs that I've gotten in kits appeared to be too long and didn't really pull the advance all the way back at idle. Make sure the springs are short enough to completely pull back the weights or you're idle timing will be erratic.

[Modified by vettfixr, 10:00 AM 4/6/2004]

Quick Reply: What distributor weight springs?