C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas leak

Old 04-06-2004, 06:07 AM
HoyBoy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak

A friend of mine and co-worker bought a 78 Vette last fall and stored it with a full tank of fuel. When he got it out of storage, it was less than 1/4 tank. He told me he filled it up and later noticed a strong gas smell and a gas spot under the rear of the car. I told him I thought that the tank was probably not leaking, but more likely, the fuel gauge gasket. What does your experience tell you?
HoyBoy
Old 04-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Gas leak (HoyBoy)

Probably not the fuel gauge gasket as that is on the very top of the tank. Could be the rubber fuel line, I would try that first. The leak would show up on the right side if it were the rubber line. If the spare tire tub is filling with fuel it could be the tank.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Gas leak (Big Fish)

Probably not the fuel gauge gasket as that is on the very top of the tank. Could be the rubber fuel line, I would try that first. The leak would show up on the right side if it were the rubber line. If the spare tire tub is filling with fuel it could be the tank.
:iagree:
I just had to replace the rubber lines at the pump. I was jacking it up to check some things and saw something dripping...Come to find out, the fuel lines were pretty much disintegrating to the touch. Those fuel lines can be a pain to get positioned properly too!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:12 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Gas leak (Aflac)

Probably not the fuel gauge gasket as that is on the very top of the tank. Could be the rubber fuel line, I would try that first. The leak would show up on the right side if it were the rubber line. If the spare tire tub is filling with fuel it could be the tank. :iagree:
I just had to replace the rubber lines at the pump. I was jacking it up to check some things and saw something dripping...Come to find out, the fuel lines were pretty much disintegrating to the touch. Those fuel lines can be a pain to get positioned properly too!
:iagree:
had the same problem on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas leak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas leak