C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life expectancy of spindles

Old 04-06-2004, 01:21 AM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Life expectancy of spindles

I think my spindles are crapped. The surface where the bearings press on measure to .005 thin so the bearings just slid right on but tight. One has a ripple like it got hot, but the other has no sights of wear...just doesnt press on. These have been running fine for the past 2 yrs and I had no noise prior. Should I deffinatly replace or would they hold up. I dont want this half-a&& so Im also wanting venders to chime in b/c it looks like im in for a new set with bearings.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Life expectancy of spindles (jaggeedfire)

The one sounds like it had a bearing spinning on it to cause that .005 undersize. The bearing should press on tight, so you probably are looking at replacement on that one. I guess I don't understand what the problem is on the other where it sounds like it's too tight? If there was a bearing on it and it was removed, why can't a new bearing be installed? It helps to freeze the spindles prior to bearing installation, they will go on easier. Be sure to get the shims right, .002 is your target for end play, and it takes a little work to get there. You could always use the worn spindle as a setup tool.

Oops, I read your post again, sounds like they are both loose? Are they loose with the old or new bearings? I've heard of some people undersizing the spindles for a slip fit to make bearing setup and install quicker and easier. It might not hurt to go ahead and put it back together if it's not too sloppy, use some loctite bearing retainer on the loose ones and drive it.

[Modified by Big Fish, 6:48 AM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Willis
Instructor

I wouldn't be super concerned myself. I've actually heard of people machining their spindles down to have a slip fit to ease in the installation. Not something that I would do, but they seem to work fine afterwards.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:10 PM
jaggeedfire
Instructor

Default Re: Life expectancy of spindles (Big Fish)

Thats what seems to have happened. It has a sort of 'slip fit' just like the setup tools I have for the assemblies. I am curious as to the Loctite bearing retainer you speak of. Never heard of it and would definately be an option!

Nicholas
Old 04-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Norval did the slip fit machining so it must be good. :) Sounds like the way to go to me, easier to inspect or replace and grease.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:38 PM
SharkPilot
Instructor

I had a guy rebuild my rear bearings 20+ years ago. He used emory cloth and a lathe on the spindle shafts. Now the inner bearings have a tight slip fit.
When I rebuild my rear bearings, I have to lay the inner ones in the sun to get the slip fit to work. After 20+ years and 170,000+ miles, the spindles look fine and I have never worn out a bearing. In fact the last two times I cleaned and repacked the bearings I didn't replace any of the bearings. They looked just fine. If it ain't broke... My $.02.

:auto: :steering:
Old 04-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I am curious as to the Loctite bearing retainer you speak of. Never heard of it and would definately be an option!
Nicholas, I tried to open the Loctite web site to get you a product number, but I'm having browser problems. Perhaps you will have better luck: http://www.loctite.com The product is called bearing retaining compound and is a dark green in color. It will stop the bearings from turning on the spindle providing it is properly applied (no oil residue on parts). If your parts are real sloppy it probably won't work, but sounds like you should be okay.

Get notified of new replies

To Life expectancy of spindles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Life expectancy of spindles