C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR-15 Chevy Orange

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default POR-15 Chevy Orange

Has anyone used POR-15 Chevy orange on their engine? Did you brush it or spray it. How did it turn out and were you happy with it.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 12:38 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: POR-15 Chevy Orange (Corvette ED)

I've used it a couple of times on different engines. First let me say that I think Por 15 is good stuff. Works great on frames etc.

But on engines, it's a tossup I feel. I've sprayed it and brushed it on. You can brush it on block OK, but things like oil pans and stuff need to be sprayed if you don't like brush lines etc in paint.

The good part is that it has LOTS of solids meaning it is very bright and pretty. When it dries it has a great gloss.

The stuff stays sort of pliable and is sort of more like a "coating" than a paint. Once it sticks it stays great.

The sad part is it takes a LONG time to dry.

And I was very disappointed with the color after a period of time. It faded rapidly. They have lots of warnings on cans about UV light fading it etc, but I figured it would be OK under a hood.

I didn't really realize how much it had faded until I looked at some older pictures of the engine. it was a LOT different.

That being said..it has still stuck well after 4-5 years. But last time around I just used Duplicolor spray bombs and I think it is holding color better! And it's lots cheaper!

I won't use it on engine again.

JIM
Old 04-06-2004, 08:14 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 Chevy Orange (427Hotrod)

I have used several of the POR15 products too but not the engine paint. I found that other then the gloss black and metal ready the other products I used were overpriced and didn't perform anywhere near as expected.

Lars posted a while ago about mixing the correct paint to shoot an engine. I don't have a link to it. I have used VHT and baked it afterwards and like the results,but Lars approach sounds like the best way to paint an engine.

Gary
Old 04-06-2004, 10:08 AM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished painting my block with it, disappointed to hear from 427 that it fades. I am mixed about it, I like the finish, it looks almost powder coated nice and glossy. It does not cover very well, I had to use three coats and I brushed it on but I did not get brush strokes. The engine paint is supposed to be different than the regular Por 15 ie UV light is not supposed to affect it. On smooth surfaces you will have to use the metal prep otherwise it does not stick very well. I have been extremely pleased with the regular POR15. My only whine with the engine paint is that it took three coats. Guess I will have to see how well it holds up long term.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 Chevy Orange (DVG73)

Tell me if this sounds Ok. Last week I put in a factory cast iron water pump. I cleaned it with alcohol, then shot clearcoat over it (no paint). Well it turned to light rust in 1 week. I pulled it back out and I'm planning on using Rust-Bullet because it finishes grey (I also have POR15) but I have it in Black. Do you think this will work or should top coat it in Chevy Blue?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default Re: POR-15 Chevy Orange (mvftw)

Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:04 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

I have the por 15 engine paint also. I brushed it on, the color is a very bright orange. Much deeper than any spray can I have seen. It seems to hold up pretty good, but at the begining of every season I touch up the center of the intake manifold under the carb where it darkens from the heat. Also like mentioned in another post, it dont look as nice as a spray would on the oil pan. Overall I think it holds up pretty good.

Get notified of new replies

To POR-15 Chevy Orange

Quick Reply: POR-15 Chevy Orange