C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:10 PM
69driver
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI Setup

I am new to the motor building game so I am looking for some opinions. I have '69 that has a ZZ4 crate motor. I am looking to install an EFI system and a supercharger. I have heard the ACCEL Gen VII EFI system is a good one. Has anyone installed this one, or have opinions on a better setup? Also, looking to put in an ATI procharger. I am trying to get about 550 HP out of my 350 on pump gas. I, of course, will beef up the pistons and will probably look to lower my compression from 10.5:1 to 9.0:1. I don't think Procharger sells an engine bracket to fit the 1968-1972 Corvette. Has anyone put the Procharger in?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: EFI Setup (69driver)

I'm using Accel Gen VII. I have a 383 stroker motor topped with a TPI style injection system (Accel's SuperRam). The system works great for me. Pretty simple to install. My first trip to the strip brought a 13.07 and 1.74 sec. 60' time on a set of $50 street tires. Also get over 20 mpg on the highway.

My only suggestion to you is that if you aren't an expert at tuning a system like this, take it to a dyno shop that has a technician that is familiar with Gen VII. I spent about 3 months on the road trying to tune it myself. I had it idling great and actually ran that 1/4 before I took it to the dyno shop. I finally decided to check my work and the guy picked up 20 HP and 90 ft. lb. of torque without turning a wrench in less then 2 hours! I wrecked my car the next day and actually just cranked the car again for the first time in 9 months on Sunday. Cranked on the second try and ran beautifully.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:27 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's another option:

They are getting 518hp, 544ft-lb out of the ZZ4.
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1171

Here's my setup for my new 406 with the larger S/C and EFI:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/zma...eng_lfront.jpg

I'm running the Commander 950 with wide band O2. Just wanted to be different... ;)
Old 04-06-2004, 02:51 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running the Accel Gen VII system with a TPIS miniram. So far seems to be a great system. It was easy to install and the Accel's support is good. However, as SuprJames said this system does seems to have a huge learning curve with it. I was getting nowhere with tuning it until I found a copy of the EMIC training guide for the Gen VI system on the internet which covers what some of the settings actually do . The manual that came with the computer just covers installing and a real general overview on how to use the software. It doesn't really cover how to tune it. Guess this is a way to keep the EMIC's in business. There is a book available by Ray T. Bohacz that covers the Gen VI system. The EMIC Gen VI training manual I was found is also written by Ray T. Bohacz. IM or email me and I'll email it to you. :cheers:
Old 04-06-2004, 08:59 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: EFI Setup (stickboy)

Also take a look at Holley's commander 950 EFI. The SW is not quite as slick as Accells, but the functionality is similar and it is a lot less expensive.

Get notified of new replies

To EFI Setup

Quick Reply: EFI Setup