C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel return line question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel return line question

After taking a ride the other day I noticed a hose hanging (loose end) out behind the spare tire carrier that was never there before. I believe it to be the fuel return line. It appears to still be attached somewhere to the top center of the gas tank. the other end looks like it used to go somewhere on the back right corner of the car. My question is this...where does it go... and is there any danger with this disconected. I do not detect any fuel odor from the opening of the hose. I do see other fuel line attached to the tank...next to what apears to be the sending unit wires. I cannot see where the return would attach...but it would seem by the curve of the old rubber hose to be near the same area. I dont want fuel retuning and splashing out on the mufflers. Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Fuel return line question (DollaGreen)

This is the overflow line on the tank. If there is some gas spilled while filling it up it goes down on the ground. also allows rainwater to drain out on the ground. It is attached to the rubber piece that is on top of the tank. It just hangs down and is not attached to anything. Just a drain.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:54 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Fuel return line question (Gordonm)

It might go to a vapor return line, but not gas return.
Shouldn't be dangerous to leave open, but I'd look for a smaller steel line
that runs along the top of the frame. It wouldn't hurt to hook it back up, if there is a line.
:seeya
Old 04-06-2004, 12:03 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Fuel return line question (DollaGreen)

Is it the drain line from the overflow cup around the gas cap. You can check by pouring a little water down beside the gas cap and see if it runs out the hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel return line question

Quick Reply: Fuel return line question