C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window motors - rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power window motors - rebuildable?

Friends,

Are the power window motors rebuildable by a hack like me? My windows go up and down, but they're SSSLOOOOOOWWWWWW. Not too slow, but they don't zip up and down like they should.

I'm just looking for some advice before I throw money at it. Let me know your thoughts. GM
Old 04-05-2004, 06:32 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Power window motors - rebuildable? (mayberg)

Berg, tell you what, your window motors themselves and the accompanying gear drive are most likely ok.....what you need do is pull the entire inner lining out and take off the hatch cover on the lower center inner panel...

then you find the motor mech...and with a 7/16 socket you release the window glass, and carefully take it out completely....

the you get the window tracks out, and DEGREASE them...completely....
soak in a pan full of gasoline overnight outdoors....only way I know without busting your nuts over them....

examine for worn out rollers/etc.....

the sector gear may be rusted or worn, along with it's accompanying drive gear off the motor....in that case get hold of Yogi Behr.....he does a lot with windows....

sells rebuilts all the time....

take the motor mechanism apart, chances are the grease is shot, and you need just take it out and renew it....

the motors don't ever turn enough to wear out any brushes/communtators...

so the bearing are fine with a bit of oil....

the point is to degrease the entire geartrain and the slide bars and wheels...
the large black spring in the middle of the main strain point of the contraption is known to get weak, apparently....all I know is that I personally have never had to replace one in about 40 years of car ownership....

GENE
Old 04-05-2004, 06:40 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

You may want to check the counterbalance spring also.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power window motors - rebuildable? (mrvette)

Berg, tell you what, your window motors themselves and the accompanying gear drive are most likely ok.....what you need do is pull the entire inner lining out and take off the hatch cover on the lower center inner panel...

then you find the motor mech...and with a 7/16 socket you release the window glass, and carefully take it out completely....

the you get the window tracks out, and DEGREASE them...completely....
soak in a pan full of gasoline overnight outdoors....only way I know without busting your nuts over them....

examine for worn out rollers/etc.....

the sector gear may be rusted or worn, along with it's accompanying drive gear off the motor....in that case get hold of Yogi Behr.....he does a lot with windows....

sells rebuilts all the time....

take the motor mechanism apart, chances are the grease is shot, and you need just take it out and renew it....

the motors don't ever turn enough to wear out any brushes/communtators...

so the bearing are fine with a bit of oil....

the point is to degrease the entire geartrain and the slide bars and wheels...
the large black spring in the middle of the main strain point of the contraption is known to get weak, apparently....all I know is that I personally have never had to replace one in about 40 years of car ownership....

GENE
:iagree: I pulled my driver's door apart last weekend. degreased and regreased everything. Make sure you put a bolt in the regulator, the spring looks like it could do some seriuos damage if not contained :eek: .

Before the cleaning it wouldn't go up without help, now it works so well I think I will have to do the other one :rolleyes:
Old 04-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally the problem is because of one of two thing or a combination of. First make sure there is a GOOD ground. Now... you will most likely need to remove the entire regulator. There is s big steel spring( Lot's of tension so install the lock pin) This spring gets rusty, grungy and just plain siezes up. I clean them real good with Kroil and then lube them with lithium white grease. That's been what I had to do for slow motors in Vettes every time. Of cource clean and lube everthing else in the too but DO NOT overlook the spring itself. I have sprayed the sping with the mechanism together but you car will smell terrible for quite a few days.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 8:18 AM 4/6/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Power window motors - rebuildable?

Quick Reply: Power window motors - rebuildable?