C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 shift problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Jesper
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 shift problems

Hi

I'm having problems with my TH400, it's been leaking alot and one day when I was driving the following happened :

I accelerated and after that the tranny would stay in 1.st gear and would not upshift. I checked the oil and it was low, so I added oil but the problem was still there.

I can now get it to upshift from 1st. to 3, if I accelerate, but it will not go into 2 gear.

What's the problem ?

P.S.

I have replaced the modulator.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: TH400 shift problems (Jesper)

The TH400 is modulated two ways.. The vacuum modulator for low speed up and downshifts. Then at wide open throttle it is solenoid detent controlled via 12 V soleinoid that is in the transmission. It is energized by switch at the carb or under the gas pedal. If this switch is stuck, mal adjusted or otherwise sending 12v to the solenoid the trans will not shift out of first except at the extreme upper rpm and then it usually goes into third. This is what also controls high speed forced downshifts that mant TH400 owners complain are non existant

[Modified by bluevetteman, 9:38 AM 4/5/2004]
Old 04-05-2004, 01:34 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: TH400 shift problems (bluevetteman)

... the switch at the gas pedal, or it may be the relay inside the tranny is bad.
:seeya
Old 04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
duntovlives
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, intermediate (2nd) is applied w/ a band. its not out of the question to have the band break and cause this problem.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Sounds like maybe its not getting vacuum to the modulator. Check to see if the hose slipped off. Also if the modulator diaphram goes bad it will act up. It can even suck trans fluid up thru the hose and into the intake and burn it in the combustion chamber.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:01 PM
duntovlives
Instructor

Default Re: TH400 shift problems (Jvette73)

hey - on second thought---- second is applied w/ a "sprag" (or, one way roller clutch), not a band as i was thinkin b4..... i'm gonna say that ur problem is that the sprag has "givin it up". if that is the case, ur in line for an overhaul in order to get it repaired. ~brian~
Old 04-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Jesper
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the help guys.

I will check the solenoid detent switch.

Here is a little more info on what is happening :

The transmission will not upshift from 1 to 2 gear at any speed, I can get it to upshift to 3, if I accelerate harder.

When in 3 gear the transmission will drop into 1 gear if I get below a certain speed.

Anyone else got any ideas ?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Jesper
Heel & Toe

ttt
Old 04-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I'll just second what was mentioned above. It's quite common for the diaphram in the vacuum modulator to start to leak. When this happens the engine will suck transmission fluid into the intake manifold and burn it. The transmission will also stop shifting. You should take care of this right away. If let go it will burn up the clutches in the transmission.

Just thought of something else. Shift points are also controlled by a governor. If the gear gets stripped on the governor the trans will stop shifting

[Modified by Kid Vette, 8:49 AM 4/9/2004]
Old 04-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Jesper
Heel & Toe

Default Re: TH400 shift problems (Kid Vette)

Hmm, I have changed the modulator, so it's not that.

So what I've got now is : governor or switch at the gas pedal.

Thanks I'll check that.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:35 AM
duntovlives
Instructor

im sure u think im nuts, since i stated that 2nd was applied w/ a band, then changed my mind... but, im sure that u will find that since it "skips" 2nd all together, that your roller clutch (sprag) is broken. when this happens, intermediate(2nd) is not workable, so therefore, it shifts on to high gear(3rd). IF u had a modulation/gov/kickdown problem, 2nd would be that at some point and time. since it NEVER shifts into 2nd,,,,the sprag is your problem. im sure that if you call any reputable tranny shop, they will verify what i am telling you about no second gear. it is a common problem in 400's.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:42 AM
Jesper
Heel & Toe

Default Re: TH400 shift problems (duntovlives)

hmm, okay but 2nd is working if I shift it manually ?
Old 04-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Have you got underneath the car while the engine is running and checked to see if youre actually getting a vacuum signal at the modulator?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:57 PM
duntovlives
Instructor

"hmm, okay but 2nd is working if I shift it manually ?"

i didnt realize that---- so...

well then, in that case.... u have two things it could be.... 1) modulation problem>>> lack o vac etc, or..and MOST LIKELY #2) governor problems... the problem w/ gov problems, is the main reason they "hang up" is because of "debris" in the trans. metal/material floating around in the trans can only come from one source, the trans itself. (this is because the friction plates/ reaction plates never actually touch....the fluid keeps this from occuring) that usually (not always) means, time for an overhaul.

OR.. u can remove the gov by simply removing the cover and pulling it from car. unfortunatly, in a vette, this usually requires the removal of the crossmember to allow the rear of trans to drop enough to remove gov. if u hold the gov vertically, w/ weights at bottom, (gear @ top) then push weights up, the valve inside should raise and lower w/ ease. then, w/ weights in up postition, u should be able to push up on the inside lever, and then it should return to its original postion by no other force than gravity.
gl-bk
Old 04-11-2004, 10:44 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Had exact same problem in my '72 w/TH400. Wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Replaced modulator...poof...problem solved. Check to make sure you have vacuum at modulator. You can disconnect the electric kickdown switch on the gas pedal and run without it. Just downshift manually if you want to downshift.

Dep

[Modified by DJ Dep, 9:46 PM 4/11/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To TH400 shift problems

Quick Reply: TH400 shift problems