C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeze plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Red69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Freeze plug

Hi - found a bad freeze plug in my BB. Thing is, I've never changed them before. Can anyone give me a quick lesson and some tips? Do I need a special tool? The motor is in a stand....

Old 04-04-2004, 11:52 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Freeze plug (Red69)

First use a punch to drive one side of the old plug into the block. You do not want to punch the whole thing into the water jacket After it is sideways use a pliers or screwdriver to pry it out. Be careful not to damage the hole in the process. For the new freese plug you will need a large punch but a large socket will do, choose one that is just a bit smaller than the freeze plug. Put some sealer on the block and punch the new freeze plug in just below the chamfer in the block. Be sure you do not have a punch or socket that is snug in the plug when you start because the plug will squeeze down a bit and you dont want your punch stuck in the plug. Smear some sealer on the lip as well after the plug is set. Some people just use silicone sealer but permatex does make a special high temp sealer for this job. Heres a link.
http://permatex.com/products/prodidx...&item_no=80007

There is also a tool designed specifically for this job that makes sure you do not set the plug too deep into the hole but I would guess that you don't have one or you would not have made this post. Just look at how deep the old plug is before you begin and you will be ok.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Red69
Racer

Default Re: Freeze plug (PatG)

Thanks for the info. I take it changing all the plugs at one time is the best practice when one goes bad?

Get notified of new replies

To Freeze plug

Quick Reply: Freeze plug