C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
trackdogg
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch

i can start car by jumping wires running to starter under hood all test indicate ignition switch any easy way to get it out of colume
Old 04-04-2004, 06:15 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: ignition switch (trackdogg)

Just replaced mine and I didn't find an easy way :nonod:

Jim Shea's papers at the url below were a BIG help!

http://www.corvettefaq.com/listing.asp?group=7

Look at either the STD or Tilt and Telescoping Column (depending on which you have) Dissasembly and Repair papers and pics. They will take you through dropping the column and getting to the switch.

Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Jb3778
Advanced

Default Re: ignition switch (trackdogg)

Even with instructions, it's one of the worst jobs I've ever undertaken. I'd suggest to wait until you have plenty of time and be sure to keep track of all the parts you take off. Good luck, you will get it done eventually.

Jim
Old 04-04-2004, 07:58 PM
john V. zemba
Instructor

Default Re: ignition switch (Jb3778)

Amen to that about the time and the worst job on the whole car, I am still waiting for parts that I broke { hopefully because of age} and not me , but it is a slow and painfull experience. I still can not locate where one part goes.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:34 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ignition switch (Jb3778)

Even with instructions, it's one of the worst jobs I've ever undertaken. I'd suggest to wait until you have plenty of time and be sure to keep track of all the parts you take off. Good luck, you will get it done eventually.

Jim
I couldn't disagree more. Using Jim Shea's diagrams and explanations the removal of the lock cylinder took me under an hour. I had to take a break because an acient plastic piece broke, but I had been warned in advance that this piece would probably fail during removal. Once the replacement arrived in the mail it was fairly easy. The only special tools needed are a steering wheel puller and the spring compressor if you have the tilt/tele.
Gary
Old 04-04-2004, 09:14 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: ignition switch (GaryS)

:iagree:

While it definitely was not a fun job, I don't think it was that difficult and I am a beginner mechanic/tinkerer. As I said above, Jim's papers were a huge help.

On my '69 I didn't even need the special tools since I have a std column and you can just remove the screws holding the wheel to remove it so the column will drop low enough to get to the switch. You don't need to get inside the column to replace the ignition switch.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:34 PM
OldSchool
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ignition switch (69_BigBlock)

I agree, the ignition switch is mounted on the column, under the dash. It is fairly easy to drop the column enough to gain access to it.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/StdC3ColumnD&R226JA04.doc
This doc has pretty good instructions.. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To ignition switch

Quick Reply: ignition switch