C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition key cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:37 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition key cylinder

Is there an easy way to get the old cylinder out to put a new one in? I have the new cylinder and it shows how to install in the assembly manual, but I'm not sure how to get the old one out without taking apart the entire column.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:47 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Ignition key cylinder (USA SHARK)

Sorry, the column has to come apart, short of the thiefs way.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Default Re: Ignition key cylinder (wombvette)

I'd settle for the thiefs way since I'm putting in a new cylinder. But I'm not sure what that way is. The cylinder is already kinda busted up like it's been tampered with anyway. It seems close to coming out, but not quite. Anyone else have an idea?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:50 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Ignition key cylinder (USA SHARK)

Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com, look up the steering section, and then choose the article for your year. Jim Shea used to work for the company that built our steering components. He has posted the exploded parts diagrams, rebuild/repair instructions for most tilt and non-tilt steering columns.

Replacing the lock cylinder is a very straight forward task. I have pulled my 72 cylinder a couple of times and it takes less than 30 minutes to get it out. You need a steering wheel puller and the device to compress the spring if you have tilt/tele. Once that is off you need to remove the components that allow you to get down to the cylinder. It is a VERY GOOD IDEA to use the GM Service Manual for whatever year you have, alongside your exploded parts breakdown. My 72 manual shows the actual removal of the cylinder. THis is one of the easier jobs that you can do on a steering column.

Gary

[Modified by GaryS, 6:50 AM 4/5/2004]
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Ignition key cylinder (GaryS)

Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com, look up the steering section, and then choose the article for your year. Jim Shea used to work for the company that built our steering components. He has posted the exploded parts diagrams, rebuild/repair instructions for most tilt and non-tilt steering columns.

Replacing the lock cylinder is a very straight forward task. I have pulled my 72 cylinder a couple of times and it takes less than 30 minutes to get it out. You need a steering wheel puller and the device to compress the spring if you have tilt/tele. ....
:iagree: You can rent the puller for $0 from Autozone. Also go ahead and purchase the plastic "dohickey" part that Jim Shea mentions in his article. Mine shattered when I took it apart. The local Chevy dealer had them in stock. Jim Shea did a great job on these articles.

If you have a digital camera, take photographs as your disassenbly proceeds. Photos are better than my memory!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:13 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ignition key cylinder (mapman)

Go for it. The articles Jim has posted are great. I did my own about two years ago, and I am definitely not mechanically inclined (but learning!!).

What really surprised me was when taking apart the column, there was a small, plastic star shaped retainer that fell apart from being old and brittle. The surprising part was the local Chevy dealer had the replacement in stock. No waiting!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition key cylinder

Quick Reply: Ignition key cylinder