C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Shoehorn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism.

I was doing some research in the archived files here about when the outer door handle on my 80 Vette doesn't open the door but the inner does. I cannot figure out how to adjust the threaded rod that I need to. I can see where it attaches to the handle on the outside and where it connects but I can't see how to get it off so I can thread it down some more in order to work. My Haynes manual has nothing in it about the working mechanism to mine which is electric windows and door locks. Input any one, pictures would be might helpful, thank you.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism. (Shoehorn)

If I remember correctly, I had to unbolt the latch mechanism. The rod had retaining clips on the end by the latch.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Shoehorn
Intermediate

Default Re: I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism. (Jack71)

The rod drops down from the outside latch mechanism and is threaded down at the bottom. The part that it's screwed through on the bottom seems to be a part you can't remove as the rod is screwed through it and then that part goes to the arm that unlatches the door latch. Up at the top of the rod it goes into the outside handle so I am not sure how to get it loose. There are 2 big nuts that seem to drop down from the outside door handle is that how you get the handle loose and if so is that the way to adjust the rod length?

[Modified by Shoehorn, 7:23 PM 4/4/2004]
Old 04-04-2004, 02:37 PM
SLine78
Racer

Default Re: I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism. (Shoehorn)

Remove the Rod Lock Clip (shown below) from the end of the Rod Swivel Pin, which is the part threaded onto the door handle rod. Once the clip is removed you can seperate the Rod Swivel Pin from the linkage and the twist it to thread it up or down as need for your adjustment.

Mike
Old 04-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a clip holding the rod at the handle. They are a real pain to get to, you have to remove the door panel and the anti-theft cover... Then the fun begins. Puts a new meaning to skinned fingers and knuckles. :lolg:

[Modified by bluevetteman, 3:09 PM 4/4/2004]
Old 04-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Shoehorn
Intermediate

Default Re: I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism. (SLine78)

I have it open but I cannot see the clips you mentioned. I see the rod going to the threaded part and then going up to the latch and then I see where it connects to the latch but I do not see the clip you mentioned anywhere????
Old 04-04-2004, 03:47 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

In your top picture you can see the rod with the threaded pin on it. The end of the pin is slotted and those clips in the other picture lock it in, the clips slide on the end of the lever that the rod pin is in. There is a little tab on the back that locks it in place. You have to clean away the grease,use carb cleaner and you'll see the clip. Slide it out until the pin is free,adjust the pin up/down then slide the clip back to pickup the pin slot. I like to remove the whole latch assembly,outer handle,clips and clean them all. Lube them with white grease and then adjust them-both inside and outside -locks and opening throw. Don;t close the door until you have them right or it may be jammed shut. Use a screwdriver to latch the mechanism and adjust it.
Gary
Old 04-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Shoehorn
Intermediate

Default Re: I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism. (gtr1999)

Got it done, door handle works, lock works and thanks for the help all. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism.

Quick Reply: I can't see how to adjust the outer door handle mechanism.