C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...please:( Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:21 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...please:( Alternator?

I'm afraid to take the vette anywhere. Bought car month ago. Noticed alt gauge inside when running car and is 15 all is fine. When run car and needle says 12 then next time I try to start car, battery is dead. Took battery alt to murrays auto. they test both and are fine. I spend days trying to solve problem still. I say heck with it, buy new 85 amp alt (bosch reman delco) and put it on. Run car for 3 days, needle says 15-16 and I'm thinking ok now I do brakes....BAM. lil while go needle at 12 and same old song.

I took amp meter to car. Motor off I get 12.3 volts at battery and both red wires from alt. I start car and I get 11.7 volts (HEI sucking juice?) at battery and both alt red wire leads. Sooooo, I have this shiny new bosch alt that does not seem to be putting out juice, just like my old alt, yet it's brand new. I don't seem to have any drawy from other devices that I can tell. I rev the engine and still only 11.7. If i let it run long I am sure the battery will go down and the motor won't start again:(

Any pro's know the answer to this one? Thanks in advance if you do...I sure am stumped but admit I am in probably over my head at this point since I bought a new alt and that did not solve the problem:(

Thanks,
Rich
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 PM
ry
Racer

Default Re: Help...please:( Alternator? (WarBound)

ill take the first stab today. i bought like 3 NEW alt. before i got one that worked. just cause its new dosent mean its not defected. anyways... goto a parts place near-by and let them test it. if faulty tell them to replace it. good luck.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:45 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Hey thanks...guess that's what I'll do tomorrow. I had to wait couple days for this one to come in to local store, they don't stock it. So, by early next week maybe I'll know if it's just a bum bosch

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:50 PM
ry
Racer

no problem :thumbs:

by the way....welcome to the forum

[Modified by ry, 10:51 PM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-12-2004, 06:45 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

OK...in the hopes of helping someone else with the same problem. Here is what happened to me.

I was ready to take alternator out and found another unrelated problem...the choke heater was wired into the radio. The relay was buzzing so I replaced it, while in the dash wiring un-doing the elect choke wiring and taking it back to stock I discovered I had no alternator warning bulb...at all in the socket.

I googled about it and found out that this bulb is an excite circuit for the alternator. After replacing the bulb the alternator turns out juice every time I start it now...before it was intermittent.

So...now my choke is back to stock and the light comes on at the dash and then goes off. My brand new bosch alternator is working:) Next...I took the carb off today and am sending it to Lars for his highly touted tune-ups:)

Hope this post helps someone about alternator woes:)

Get notified of new replies

To Help...please:( Alternator?

Quick Reply: Help...please:( Alternator?