C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with GM putting pot metal plugs in their trannies

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with GM putting pot metal plugs in their trannies

Both fill and drain plugs were seized up in my M-21. The fill plug almost rounded off but the Vette Gods gave me a break and I got it off with the help of vice grips and a BFH. now the fill sports a brass plug with Teflon tape. The drain plug is completely broken off flush in the tranny case, like that when I bought her. Both plugs are non-magnetic pot metal. I use brass plugs with Teflon tape and they will never seize. I will remove the plug next week with the help of a drill, easy out and my tap set. This should never have happended. This is plain old good common sense. Why use rusty/ cheapy pot metal???

:banghead: :banghead:

[Modified by Cali,68,L-79, 11:06 AM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 01:07 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: What's up with GM putting pot metal plugs in their trannies (Cali,68,L-79)

Maybe Bubba used those, last time I checked on my M-21, the plugs were good ol' cast iron.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What's up with GM putting pot metal plugs in their trannies (GDaina)

Maybe Bubba used those, last time I checked on my M-21, the plugs were good ol' cast iron.
Maybe your right. I never checked my old 77 or 70 with a magnet. These are definetly inferior quality parts.

:rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with GM putting pot metal plugs in their trannies

Quick Reply: What's up with GM putting pot metal plugs in their trannies