C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still looking for some more advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Baytraveler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking for some more advice

My intitial thought was to look for a 78/79 Corvette. It was carburetted (sp?) and therefore easy to work on. What are the pros and cons of these cars versus the 80-82 models. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Still looking for some more advice (Baytraveler)

With the years you have listed, the 78-80 are going to be generally the same. The 81 had a computer controlled carb., while the 82 had the notorious crossfire fuel injection system. 82 was also the first year for the 4 speed (7004R) auto tranny where as the others were your typical three speed (TH350?). There are other little differences such as crossmembers, bolster size in seats, tec., but someone with more knowledge than I would know about those things.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Default Re: Still looking for some more advice (Baytraveler)

I would suggest buying THE COMPLETE BOOK OF CORVETTE BY THE AUTO EDITORS OF CONSUMER GUIDE written by Richard M. Langworth. It has information for Corvettes from 53 to 88.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:16 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: Still looking for some more advice (Tom Johnson)

I love my '80. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that the '80-'82 is their favorite body style, I could buy a nine inch rear end. I love all years of 'Vettes however. The '79 just needed a little help with a rear spoiler in my opinion. I don't know tons about all the other years, but between my best friend's ('65 & '73), my Mom's ('75, '79, '80) and Dad's ('82 Modified drag car with small block, Lenco & Nine Inch) 'Vettes, I've had some experience. As CVT4ME mentioned, the single exhaust trans crossmember was implemeted in '80 from the previous model's dual version - I just purchased a crossmember from a '79. The 80 MPH speedo in '80-82's is pretty pitiful looking. I think the late season '79's came with them too. The Rochester carbureted four barrel engine has been very easy to work on, but I've never dealth first-hand with the Corssfire version in '82. I've been researching putting a more powerful motor in my car and it's a veritible Rubicks cube trying to deal with limitations of the trans, hood clearance, rear end strength, etc. while keeping the stock appearance that I like so much on this model, but that's the case with many C3s I guess. The '80 rear end has an aluminum housing rather than steel, and while mine has a new 3.73 gear I've had no problems with the aluminum, but the u-joint straps that hold it together are alarmingly puny. Van Steel sells kits to strengthien it though. I pulled the weak factory engine out a few months ago and it was hardly capable of destroying the rear though. Long story short, my '80 has me given years of air conditioned, decent-riding reliability, and with the rear gear and trans kit it gets out of its own way at least. It's been the best-looking, most fun to drive car I've owned. But then again, I can't afford to buy some of those other models either! I'm considering buying a pro street/drag car and maybe just keep the '80 the nice car it's always been. By the way, another book to consult is "Corvette Restoration Guide", Richard Prince, MBI Publishing. Good luck with your decision!

Get notified of new replies

To Still looking for some more advice

Quick Reply: Still looking for some more advice