C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit

Old 04-03-2004, 08:43 AM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit

Has anyone installed the Hedmans exhaust equalizer kit? Some good info on the crossover pipes on their website for those of us who need it. I'm going to install dual exhaust and was reading up on X vs H crossovers.

"HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit completely eliminates firing order pressure differences between the right and left banks of the exhaust manifolds, or hedders. The tangentially siamesed crossover junction synchronizes the exhaust pulses.
The firing order of all production V8’s, regardless of make, has one cylinder in each bank that will fire within 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation of another cylinder in the same bank. This occurs twice during completion of the entire firing order. These two cylinders will be exhausting almost simultaneously into the same manifold system. Full length 4 tube hedders help separate these pulses until the collector is reached. After the hedder tubes dump into the collectors, the two cylinders again are fighting each other for space in the collector and exhaust pipe. The result is reflected pressure waves traveling back up the exhaust system, backpressure, lost power and poor economy.

At the same time two cylinders exhaust in one bank, there is no activity in the opposite bank. The traditional H-Pipe equalizer allows some of the excess pressure to bleed over the “quiet side” of the exhaust system, resulting in some low and mid-range torque improvements. At high RPM’s however, the gases cannot bleed across the H-Pipe fast enough to help power significantly. Hedman’s X-TREME equalizer pipe splits the flow in the crossover junction so the pressures on both banks will be equal and pulse free after the crossover, regardless of the RPM. Volumetric efficiency and power are therefore improved at all engine speeds.

Old 04-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Never Finished
Instructor

Default Re: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit (USA SHARK)

I've read the same thing and it sounds good. I plan to install the equalizer in May when I can get the new engine and other accumulated parts installed.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit (Never Finished)

I've seen this for quite a while and just question if a MILD small block already sporting hooker headers and 2.5" exhaust really pushes out enough volume of gas to require the x-pipe? Maybe a BB and I could be wrong.

I just don't want to have the Ricer mentality. You know 60HP 4 cylinder with a 3" exhaust going to a 5" chrome exhaust tip. OVER KILL

:D

[Modified by Cali,68,L-79, 1:12 PM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 03:26 PM
73 Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where would this be installed? I'm interested, have a BB w/headers and auto...but can't visualize where to install.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:17 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Default Re: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit (Cali,68,L-79)

Cali, you bring up a good point. Is it really necessary on a small block or can you just run straight duals? In addition to adding performance, I thought it also evened out the sound. I may be wrong too. Anyone have any info on SB vs BB with X pipe?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

If you're reffering to the Hedman X-pipe kit, I have it installed on my '77 along with Hedman headers, 2.5" duals, and Flowmaster 40's. I got the "X junction only", not the one with the pipes already attached to the X. I'm happy with my exhaust system, I like the sound, and it has very little resonance :cheers:
Old 04-04-2004, 10:25 AM
73 Vet
Racer

Default Re: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit (Ryan77)

Where did you put it?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:36 AM
L79vette
Pro

Default Re: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit (73 Vet)

The only place with room for an X is behind the cross-member. In front of the cross-member, the transmission hangs down too low to allow a junction.

It definitely improves the sound at high RPM. Even and smooth.

[Modified by L79vette, 10:39 AM 4/4/2004]
Old 04-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit (73 Vet)

Where did you put it?
Mine is right behind the tranny crossmember :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit