C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:38 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show

shown shooting clear with nothing more than a face shield.

someone needs to email him to tell him he's a dead man.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:42 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (turtlevette)

You know it is funny but the more I have watched that show the more I wander how he became such a big name in the Hot Rod industry. I really hope that the incompotence and general non stop horse play crap is more for the camera and not actually the way they do work on a day to day basis. Several of those guys look and act like juvenile morons :confused: :skep:
Old 04-02-2004, 10:43 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (BlackRat)

ya that one tall fat guy is a real dumazz, the only one people that know what they are doing are the managers.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:19 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I'm not really sure how real or how "TV" any of that stuff is. I saw them skim an entire car with filler. I'm sure for now that looks great, but I wouldn't want to pay 150K for anything less than steel. I would think that is a no-no in a high end shop.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:33 PM
78 Vette
Drifting

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (BBShark)

Did you see the one when everyone forgot to mention that there was no oil pressure in the new motor. :crazy:
Old 04-02-2004, 11:35 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

tonight they skimmed a whole frame with filler before painting which surprised me.

You would think the first time you hammer it or go over a good bump thats all gonna crack. Who knows? Maybe they do know more than us.

I really like the color of the hotrod they did tonight. The pearl blue and yellow. I'm going to try and get that color in a kandy on the vette.

I just thought i'd point out that very few people have seen "professionals" use these supposedly required fresh air breathing systems for painting.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Tominator
Drifting

I like the moral booster, when everyone needs a pick up he goes out side and does a burnout for them.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:30 AM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (78 Vette)

Did you see the one when everyone forgot to mention that there was no oil pressure in the new motor. :crazy:
I forgot about that, they ran a brand new motor, without oil pressure, REPEATEDLY! And then the found that the oil pickup was to low after pulling the motor. DOOH!!!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:41 AM
96LT4Z28_03Z06
Advanced

All of those shows are alredy planned. If you watch enough of them, you can see the similarity between the scripts. I agree with you all about not wanting body filler on the frame. that makes no sense. On all of the show car frames i have ever worked on, we welded some extra material or leaded it and then ground it down smooth.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:05 AM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (96LT4Z28_03Z06)

Seems to me like it would be detrimental to his business. I know I wouldn't want to buy anything from him and I've only seen the show once. :jester
Old 04-03-2004, 08:13 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tuesday night I watch them put the bearings on the carrier of the rearend and the guy said the bearings wouldn't slide over the carrier, something must be wrong until the boss told him he would have to press them on. He was builder of the all alumimum frame and custom rearend.
I do like the guys pounding out a complete aluminum body, no painting allowed for the roadster.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (BlackRat)

It's really funny to watch some of these 'top-of-the-line" 'pros' at work on TV-
makes ya wonder-
:yesnod:
I'll never forget the recent show about the new Shelby Cobra. There was a room full of super Hi-Tech equipment, with loads of Ford's best engineers trying to start the car. They were doing the same back-yard crap we all did- turning the distributor by ear-backfiring-no timing light-etc.! What a joke!
:lol: :lolg: :lolg: :lol:

P.S.
Hey- Turtle! I must be one of those 'dead guys' too.
I used to shoot acrylic lacquer and enamel with a dust mask (like everyone else) 35 years ago, when I was a body man.
It was really macho to have multicolored snots and headaches! Then we went outside and had a smoke!! Talk about stupid-
:crazy: :shocked: :crazy:
Ah- the innocent, polluted good old days!
:lol:

[Modified by MassVette, 8:51 AM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 09:02 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (MassVette)

I don't care if those hot rods were built by drunk monkeys, the end result parked in my garage would bring on a big :D ....
Speaking of painting in the old days...I worked with a guy who would shoot paint while smoking......
Old 04-03-2004, 09:17 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (yellow 72)

Don't forget these shows are really for entertainment purposes, they shout well over 200 hours of film then edit down to what we see. If it is all great work and no screw ups or horsing around then ratings would quickly bomb and their show would be off the air quickly.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:13 AM
mengbar
Instructor

Well.... My maintenance guys and I were talking yesterday about Boyd, Discovery Channel (car/chopper shows), and Monster Car Garage and we came to a general conclusion.

We sure hope to hell they don't cancel them. We all watch the shows religiously (predominantly "Rides"), and thanks God we have something interesting to watch for a change. Sports are alright....when you arn't playing with a engine, but the Discovery auto shows are just plain butt kicking. I'm in heaven if I can just keep the VCR recording and an get all the past shows.

Yeah...the frame bondo was a bit much....but remember..."show car". The show cars are ............Garage Dolls...and to some....special. I thought the rotary button gig was a riot. Can't tell you how many times I've turned red on that one.

I watch a "Rides" show and I want to go downstairs and cut a hole in something. :eek:

:D :p: :hurray: :party:
Old 04-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Default Re: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show (mengbar)

:iagree: Some of DIY's stuff is good to. I like there restoration series and some of there mechanical shows. It seems like most of the vechicle shows on Spike TV are just one long commercial for parts.

[Modified by Tom Johnson, 10:54 AM 4/3/2004]

[Modified by Tom Johnson, 10:55 AM 4/3/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show

Quick Reply: Painter at Boyd Coddington's American Hot Rod TV show