C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT General (learning about) Engines Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default OT General (learning about) Engines Question

As evidenced by my previous posts I'm a newbie when it comes to getting under the hood. Where should I look to learn about engines in general? This was spurred on by the "dream engine" thread because I was reading HEMI, and have read the term "Stroker" and Crate engines, etc....and it's all kind of greek to me. Any books or websites you know of that woudl be useful to a noob?

Thanks all, :cheers:

Rob
Old 04-02-2004, 07:16 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT General (learning about) Engines Question (robNdfwTX)

http://www.howstuffworks.com
they have a very good beginners explanation to engines, including rotary engines, radial engines, diesel, turbos, blowers, Hemis and tons of other things. They even cover different ignition systems and alcohol
Im sure that there are only a few people on corvetteforum that would not learn something about engines from that site

MAtt
Old 04-03-2004, 08:16 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

aside from books,get a subscription to Chevy High Performance,no corvettes,but good tech. :steering:
Old 04-03-2004, 08:29 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: OT General (blue427)

I've learned tons just from this site, thanks to everyone here. There is a ton of knowledge and most of the time it's written in a format that's understandable, and if it's not, you can ask again.

Having a buddy, or finding a buddy, that knows can help too. Kinda takes the fear out of trying stuff, which is also a great way to learn.

Other than that, there are tons of books and websites that will educate. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-03-2004, 09:00 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading Hot Rod or Chevy Hi Performance you will start to learn about engines. Once you have the nuts and bolts, I would suggest John Lingenfelter's book, How to Modify Small-Block Chevy's. Excellent book on building Small-block Chevy engines designed for running on the street.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:33 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT General (69stingray)

Best of tech, by the car craft guys, is a great magazine for both engines and everythign else, it explains alot

MAtt
Old 04-04-2004, 12:17 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: OT General (pillowmeto)

Is Lingenfelter's book pretty up to date? I'm reading Yunick's Power Secrets, and it's kindof behind the times (e.g. aftermarket barely existed) Otherwise it is a great book and very informative.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:46 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OT General (pillowmeto)

http://www.howstuffworks.com
they have a very good beginners explanation to engines, including rotary engines, radial engines, diesel, turbos, blowers, Hemis and tons of other things...
:thumbs: Nice site.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: OT General

Thanks guys! Good info given here.

I want to learn about what I need (and how to go about doing it...and what to let the pros do) to get a good solid engine rebuild in my 68 with the main goal as reliability. I'm not interested in actually racing or anything...or building up the ultimate engine for speed. The stock 327 in mine is enough for me.... my last daily driver was a Honda Civic (stock...no fart cans or any of that 2fast2furious stuff) so I'm impressed enough with the stock set-up on this Vette...(I'll probably eat those words after being around the scene for awhile).

:cheers:
Rob

Get notified of new replies

To OT General (learning about) Engines Question

Quick Reply: OT General (learning about) Engines Question