C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:20 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake?

Plans have changed... I was originally going w/ an Edelbrock intake and carb. I decided to go w/ Vortec heads later on, which would require a new intake. So, I'm going to wait for the intake and do it when I do the heads.

So, now that I have a little extra money, I thought about going with a Demon carb. Any gotchas w/ one of these on the stock 76 L-48 auto manifold?

Also, Summit has two Demons that look identical to me, but are priced 20 bucks off from each other. I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

:confused:
Old 04-02-2004, 07:49 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (OREO Speedwagon)

The Demon is a squareboroe carburetor. The "stock" '76 cast iron manifold is designed for spreadbore carbs (Q-Jet.) You could use an adapter, but the best solution would be to find a squarebore manifold that will work with your Vortec heads.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:51 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (The Dude)

The Demon is a squareboroe carburetor. The "stock" '76 cast iron manifold is designed for spreadbore carbs (Q-Jet.) You could use an adapter, but the best solution would be to find a squarebore manifold that will work with your Vortec heads.
Thanks for being the only contestant to play!

:confused:

:D

Well, the deal is, I don't have the vortec heads yet. I plan on getting them later in the year or early next year. So, I don't want to buy an intake now, because it won't match up w/ the new heads when I get them.

And in the meantime, my carb is uber hosed. So I plan on getting a new one. I know now to get an adapter (thanks!) but I'm wondering about the fuel lines and linkage now.

I'm almost tempted to just go ahead and get an intake and do the carb at the same time, and then sell it when I change heads. But, I'd like to keep this as simple and cost efficient as possible.

:yesnod:
Old 04-02-2004, 11:57 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (OREO Speedwagon)

Adapters aren't really the best way to go but, in the interests of temporary cost-effectiveness, that sounds like your best bet. You can probably pick up an inexpensive adapter plate at Kragen, Shucks, Checker or Pep Boys. Don't forget gaskets.

I don't know too much about the Demons, but if tyey're laid out almost identically to a Holley, you'll need a throttle cable bracket. You can probably reuse your return spring from the Q-Jet. The transmission kickdown cable bracket, if you have an automatic, can be re-used, but you'll probably have to readjust the cable. Very simple to do.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:18 AM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (The Dude)

Right on.

:)

Will hood clearance be an issue if I run an adapter plate?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:30 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with your current QJet?

Or you can buy an intake and sell it for a pretty good price later on ebay. (Perhaps you could buy a used one there, too...)

[Modified by page62, 9:42 AM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the correct al. intake like 2101, EPS, Weiand Action+.

Demon Selection Guide http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=5
Old 04-03-2004, 10:43 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (page62)

Aren't there any swapmeets in your area? You could pick up a squarebore intake for cheap.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (zwede)

I've got a used Performer intake been sitting in it's box for 3 years if you want it.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:34 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Right on.

Will hood clearance be an issue if I run an adapter plate?
On a '76? Probably not. The reason I say this is because I have used a Holley carb on top of a big, single-plane "Strip Dominator" intake without clearance issues on mine. Of course I have one of those cheap Edelbrock drop base air cleaners, too.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:40 PM
OREO Speedwagon
Advanced

Default Re: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake? (Cali,68,L-79)

I've got a used Performer intake been sitting in it's box for 3 years if you want it.
Thanks all!

:cheers:

The Qjet is "hosed" as the tech put it. I've talked to a few guys and everyone is saying between 150 and 200 bucks to rebuild it. I thought for a bit more, I can just go w/ a new carb. The Demons seem to hugely popular around here so I thought I'd give it a go.

I'd really hate to buy an intake now, just to have to sell it when I get the matching one w/ the vortec heads (I'll probably get the scroggin combo that includes heads, intake, gaskets, etc).

How much are you wanting for that intake? You can PM me if ya want.

Get notified of new replies

To Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake?

Quick Reply: Any issues putting a Road Demon on a stock L-48 intake?