C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sending unit question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:47 PM
klwray
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sending unit question

I'm stumped. During an engine rebuild on a 75, I removed the oil pressure sending unit and the brass fitting that screws into the engine block. Now, upon trying to refit it, I have two situations. 1) During oil priming - used a tool fitted to a drill connected to the oil pump shaft, I get oil thru all passages, but no oil exiting the hole where the oil pressure sending unit screwed in. 2) When I tried to fit the brass fitting into the block, I could not get it started, damaged the threads on the brass fitting and had to buy a new one. I ran a 1/4" pipe thread tap into the hole, and even after that, I can't get the thing to screw in. I am using the hole immediately above the oil filter on the driver's side. What can I do? I would like to forget the hole in the side of the block and just use the hole behind the manifold on top of the engine, but I have no idea which sender to use because the original sender won't fit. I think the top hole is tapped 3/8. Anyone have any advice. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2004, 12:05 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: oil pressure sending unit question (klwray)

I'd pull the oil filter bracket and see what's blocking off the oil from your sending unit. Since you've done the rebuilt, I'm sure you know how to pull the bracket (two bolts). While you've got it off and on the bench, it should be easy to get your brass fitting started. :cheers:

Quick Reply: oil pressure sending unit question