C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric windows ... I hate them!

Old 04-02-2004, 02:02 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Electric windows ... I hate them!

Hey both of my windows have now stopped working. Where's the best place to get some switches? Can I use any from any car? Are they the same? Nobody in Houston seems to have any and there's a Hooter's vette show this weekend .. help! :confused:

thanks

carbster09

BTW if anyone wants to goto hooter's on Sunday at 1:00 let me know. I think it kicks off ~ 1:00 at the one on 1960 & 45. :cool:
Old 04-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Electric windows ... I hate them! (carbster09)

There is a thermal relay on the firewall just to the left of the WW motor. It is a little block with a wire at both ends. This is self re-setting unless it is burnt. The circuit is also fused. MostCorvette suppliers sell the switches but the replacements I bought were junk and I ended up re-building my old ones. And these were GM restoration parts. I ordered four items when I redid the center console. Fiber optic lenses which were almost invisible(very dim ) So I super glued the mounting tab back on the originals. The data plate had a different font. and the A/C heater lens also had a different font. Four out of four bad parts is not good odds.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say they're not working do you mean that you don't hear the motors anymore or you can hear the motors but the windows aren't moving??

If you can hear the motors it could be something as simple as shot gears on the regulators or the motors. If the motors are dead it could be one or more of several things. :yesnod:
Old 04-03-2004, 09:25 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Electric windows ... I hate them! (Cajun75)

By not working .. I mean that when I push the button to move the window up or down, I get nothing. No sound .. nothing.

I have located a pair of switches at the dealer and I am off this am to get them. ~ $ 40 each.

We'll see if that does it. BYW I took the console off and only one of the orginal screws was in it. Another screw was an afterthought. Someone's been in there before. :eek:

Carbster09
Old 04-03-2004, 11:49 AM
81' Corvette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you rule out the motors...just use a jumper wire and bypass the switch..if the motor works..then is the switches..if not..then the motor!
Old 04-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want new switches...here ya go. Good price for now! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34206

Eddie
:cheers:
Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Electric windows ... I hate them! (Silvr77)

Damn...next time I am checking ebay! That's a great deal. I was in a hurry and got two from a chevy dealer for $100! :(

But they work great and in fact the windows work better than ever! :cheers:

carbster09

Get notified of new replies

To Electric windows ... I hate them!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric windows ... I hate them!