C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kick Panel Vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:52 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kick Panel Vents

I just can't figure out the function of the kick panel vent system to get fresh air into the cabin. I have an '81 with an original stock a/c system (a/c now deleted). Now I notice the plenum gap near the fenders with the screens on both sides of the hood in front of the dash. So I remove the screen and remove 20 years of leaves, bugs, and one hot wheels car (?) that fell into this plenum space thinking that it would now vent to the drivers side kick panel. Well, after doing that, suprise - the drivers side kick panel vent is a fake and behind it is nothing but the car frame!
Now on the passenger side is another kick panel vent that appears to be functional and has a series of vacuum controled gizmo's to open and close some inside door. After examing it from both the interior and outside, consulting the Assembly Manual, reading some posts on this subject in this forum, I still can't figure out how it works. It is not directly connected to the A/C/heat vents on the dash as far as I can figure. Is it opened when the a/c controls are on "vent"? Otherwise I get no fresh air coming in. Now, I don't have a problem with hot air coming into the vents (but I get the usual hot air coming up from the bottom of the car) unless I actually put the heat on.
So how does it work? ...and what is the function of the driver's side plenum and vent - is it just GM's idea of a joke? Can it be made functional?
Old 04-02-2004, 10:13 AM
73ragtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Kick Panel Vents (SpyderD)

...and what is the function of the driver's side plenum and vent - is it just GM's idea of a joke? Can it be made functional?
The driver's side plenum and vent is only operational in non-a/c cars.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:41 AM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

That should be the same as my 76. The drivers side is for looks, the passenger side works. It is hooked to the ac/heat control in the center console through a vacuum line. The line to the actuator on the door should be black with an orange stripe (at least in 76 it was). The seals around the door commonly go bad, and let in heat from the exhaust. It could be the line, switch, or actuator is bad. Hook up a vacuum pump to these items and see if you get any movement or it holds steady vacuum. Here is a picture of the service manual's diagram:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3a5d3f9...VgZbABplJkcj7r
That was the first time I have tried to post a pic.

[Modified by vetteboy1976kr, 3:05 PM 4/2/2004]
Old 04-02-2004, 01:28 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Kick Panel Vents (vetteboy1976kr)

Picture didn't work....
I don't get any heat from the vents, no fresh air either. All my heat comes from the floorpan and firewall. What I want to do is get fresh air coming in from the vents. So, assuming some vaccum connection is bad and if I get this door open it will bring in fresh air right? (or just heat from the engine bay/heater box?)

So has anyone tried to modifiy the driver's vent to get fresh air in? Maybe punch a hole between the kick panel plate to get the air moving through the plenum?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:10 PM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

The best thing to do is to put a vacuum (or suck on) the actuator to see if it moves. If not, it's the line or the control which are easy to check also. The good thing is that it sounds like the seals on the door are good. When you get it working it SHOULD bring in fresh air, if there are no cracks in the fiberglass or leaks in the exhaust over there.

Get notified of new replies

To Kick Panel Vents

Quick Reply: Kick Panel Vents