C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker?

My friend's 86 LG4 Camaro is backfiring occasionally and doesn't have a timing marker on the damper. I wanted to set the timing so he'd get a little more power off idle but I am really not sure how...

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

-Steve
Old 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (Pacin'California)

I haven't seen any motor without some sort of timing mark. Alot of newer cars have just one point marked and you need to have an adjustible timing gun to set them. I believe I have even heard of the mark being on the flywheel sometimes, but this was on a japanese car.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (stickboy)

Well- I can see the little dash, but there's nothing indicating what degree I'm at...

-Steve
Old 04-02-2004, 02:33 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (Pacin'California)

Since timing on that car is computer controlled not sure how to set it. No distributor to turn.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Well- I can see the little dash, but there's nothing indicating what degree I'm at...

-Steve
That mark "should" be TDC.
Remove #1 spark plug (I'd remove them all just to make the engine turn over easier). Remove the coil wire or disconnect the battery (for safety) then turn the engine until you get pressure from #1 with your finger over the spark plug hole. When the plughole starts sucking your finger in you have gone past TDC. If this is the timing mark then it should be close to the timing indicator bolted to the timing chain cover (if there is one of those you didn't say).

[Modified by theandies, 5:41 AM 4/2/2004]
Old 04-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (RC81)

Since timing on that car is computer controlled not sure how to set it. No distributor to turn.
Not true, you still can move the dist and you have to have the initial timing in sync with the computer you. There is a white line that needs to be unplugged near the the dist to disconnect the computer adv so you can set the initial timing to the factory setting.

Steve to make it easier to read have him put a small dot of white out on the line.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:07 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (Fevre)

Not true, you still can move the dist and you have to have the initial timing in sync with the computer you. There is a white line that needs to be unplugged near the the dist to disconnect the computer adv so you can set the initial timing to the factory setting.

Steve to make it easier to read have him put a small dot of white out on the line.
:iagree:
Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (stpman)

Forgive my ignorance...

My vette has a steel mark "floating" over the harmonic dampener that has 0 and increments of 2 below and above top dead center. I use an adjustable timing light to figure out what my timing is...

What's the method to time this car that does not have that floating steel mark?

-Steve
Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

If the tab on the timing chain cover got ripped off you can add an aftermarket tab. Most autoparts stores carry the Mr. Gasket chrome timing tabs that bolt to the side of the timing chain cover. Just be sure to get one for the size balancer that is on the engine.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:31 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker? (burners)

I would have to look at the engines I have (86 305 TPI & 87 350 TPI) sitting on the shop floor to see if there is supposed to be a timing tab. I can't remember. (also have to go to my books for the procedure to time them.)

Steve :steering:

[Modified by stpman, 11:32 AM 4/2/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker?

Quick Reply: How do you set timing on a car that doesn't have a timing marker?