C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:17 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Power window problem

The driver side window is in the open position. When I move the switch, nothing happens in the 'up' position. But when I move it to the down position, there is a slight click inside the door. The left window works ok.

Is this likely a switch problem? Is there any way to check?

BTW, this is on a 78.

Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Power window problem (TFeld78)

My brother had this exact same problem yesterday on his 81, it was corrosion in the connector for the window motor, might wanna start there and if its ok, work your way back.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Power window problem (Today's problem is..)

Your username is perfect!! Because that is what I say damn near everyday!!

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Appears you have power to the switch. Could be the wires to the motor are bad - like broken off. That is what I had. So, need to take the sides of the console off and see if the harness in intack - no loose wires. If you have a test light and know how to use it, test power to the switch and then power to each other wire - the up (brown wire?) and the blue wire (down wire?). If not, problem is there. If so, then test, with the test light the wiring harness - grounding the test light to the motor. Test up and down. If OK, then problem is motor. Your are working out from the power to the switch to the motor itself. Hopes this layman's answer helps. BTW, just had to do same this past weekend. Turned out to be a bad harness at the switch AND a bad motor - both at the same time.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Power window problem (Larry82)

Larry82,

I am a little bit of a novice on the electical part. The harness connection to the switch appears to be tight.

I have not taken the panel off the door yet, so I do not know the condition of the wires to the motor or the motor itself.

Can you give a brief explanation on how to use the test light, i.e. touching one probe to what and the other to what, etc.

Thanks!!
Tom
Old 04-02-2004, 08:05 AM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers switch was intermittent so I removed the switch and sprayed electrical contact cleaner in through the top of the switch. When I turned the switch upside down a bunch of sand and dirt poured out. I used half a can of cleaner to wash the switch out. When it was clean I had half a beach (the car was in Florida for a while) on a paper towel. I tested for continuity between the contacts with the switch moved to both positions and everything checks out. :cheers:
Old 04-02-2004, 04:23 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you give a brief explanation on how to use the test light, i.e. touching one probe to what and the other to what, etc.
If you have a test light that is like a small screwdriver with a piece of wire out the top, you take the wire end and clip it to a clean piece of metal (this is the ground side) and then you stick the metal point in the power connector. If you have power, the light in the handle will light up, you can move the ground around to reach other parts or splice in about 10ft of wire and test every thing from 1 good ground. If light doesn't work, try hold down ground end to verify good connection.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:20 PM
TFeld78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Power window problem (72GACRZR)

Thanks for the responses. Turns out the connectors at the motor plug in were dirty and a little corroded. After a little clean up work, I'm back in business!

Thanks 72GACRZR for the electrical lesson. I'll file it away for future use (I'm sure it will happen sooner or later!!)

Tom
Old 04-05-2004, 10:24 AM
EDDIEJ82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power window problem (Today's problem is..)

My brother had this exact same problem yesterday on his 81, it was corrosion in the connector for the window motor, might wanna start there and if its ok, work your way back.
:iagree:

Just did the same thing this weekend, same fix except that I had to tap the motor slightly with a hammer the get it working again, works fine now.

Get notified of new replies

To Power window problem

Quick Reply: Power window problem