C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension/Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:41 PM
WrenchThrower
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension/Exhaust

Hi, I'm relatively new to this message board. Just about ready to tackle a total rear suspension rebuild and new exhaust on my 80. Any tips or things I should look out for???

Also, are any of you guys from the Ottawa, Ontario (Canada) area? Would also be interested in posting some pics of my motor/engine bay rebuild and front suspension rebuild.

Also wondering if there are any good places to buy parts in Ontario?

Thanks and Cheers :beatdeadhorse:
Old 04-01-2004, 04:35 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Rear Suspension/Exhaust (WrenchThrower)

hi and welcome here!!!
check if the wheel bearings are ok,check all the u joints,as for the exhaust you should go for the true duals,its just gonna make a biiig difference if you have the original on now! :yesnod:
Old 04-01-2004, 05:13 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Rear Suspension/Exhaust (stingraymaniac)

Welcome. Seems like half the people on this forum are from Canada. Great looking bunch of cars too! Did most of my rear end this last winter. Watch out for the "While I'm at it syndrome". As for the exhaust, definetly true duals and maybe a set of headers. That is what I did. Used a set of Hooker prebent 2 1/4" prebent pipes and dynomax ceramic coated headers. They did not match up as well as I would have liked but worked out ok. Still had to have everything welded and tweaked a little. I think I would just have it all done at an exhaust shop next time :cheers:
Old 04-02-2004, 09:09 AM
WrenchThrower
Navigator

Default Re: Rear Suspension/Exhaust (brooksman9)

Thanks fellas, for the rear end I'm planning on going with a monoleaf, smart struts, new shocks, u-joints, poly bushing kit and parking brake kit. I was planning on headers but the Ecklers or Mid-America catalogues I have don't have very much (if anything) in the way of headers for an 80. I'll do a search for the dynomax. I've already talked to a few muffler shops (I've heard exhaust can be a struggle) and as soon as I say corvette...nobody wants to take on the job. Is exhaust that bad????

Also, how can I post a few pics?

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:11 AM
WrenchThrower
Navigator

Hi, one other thing, how do you go about routing the true duals. The 80 has only one hole for the pipe to pass thru??
Old 04-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

You have 2 exhaust options.
1. Route the true dual around the pass side like your pipes do now
2. Buy a different tranny X-member with pass-thru's for 2 pipes.

You can just buy the true dual conversion in Option 1 from MidAmerica.
Good luck
Old 04-02-2004, 09:36 AM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

If you get a monospring then buy the Vette Brakes 300LB. All the other springs will change your ride height. How do I know? I am on my THIRD mono spring. The 300LB makes the car ride nice and soft, no sqeaks and is at about factory height. If you are going to fiddle with the exhaust then rebuild your differential while you have the exhaust out. Good chance while the spring and exhaust are out of the way. Look at around $2500 to do the rear end (T-Arms with new spindles, park brake, half shafts, diff rebuild, bushings , mono spring, shocks, paint etc). Check to see if your strut rods are straight. If they are bent then buy new adjustable strut rods (VBP) as they are a lot easier to use and give more adjustment.

Good luck. Let the pain begin!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:45 AM
WrenchThrower
Navigator

Default Re: Rear Suspension/Exhaust (stingry)

Hi, the pain began several yrs ago (ouch) :-) I wasn't planning on the dif, t-arms, halfshafts or spindles. The wheel bearings are still good, I was going to re-use the halfshafts and install new t-arm bushings. Thanks for the tip on the monoleaf. Haven't looked in the manual yet....but what is involved in a dif rebuild???Thx

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Suspension/Exhaust

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension/Exhaust