C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The REAL deal with AR Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Ken Lally
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The REAL deal with AR Racing

I am prob the only one here who has actually been to their shop and I may have some answers for many of the questions here on the Forum.
I too had a motor built from AR and took it a step further, I had them install the motor. This was their latest and greatest 430HP motor. I choose them mainly for their price (My 2nd option was the GMZZ). The first thing you need to know is that they are a very small operation in a very tiny town, if a town at all... way back in the woods/farm country. According to Mark, this is for overhead reasons. There shop looks like a barn with a concrete floor- old cars and junk everywhere. I estimate that Mark and Lance are prob the only folks there except for maybe another guy I saw around occasionally.
Like any business guy at first, prior to sale- Mark is sharp and responsive to your needs, inquiries etc. This changes a bit once the work starts and then declines thereafter pretty quickly. They really have no customer service whatsoever, and that is prob due to the fact that these guys wear all the hats in their business and have limited bandwidth, however that is no excuse for slow response or not getting back to paying customers, but that is most likely why the delays occur.
If you buy a motor from these guys it is assumed that you have a working knowledge of engines and moderate to advanced technical skills. If you are like me and are clueless (I admit it), and you ping them allot post sale, you start to eat up their slim profit margin by taking up their time, and they get annoyed. I am sure this is why you get short, cryptic half answered emails and rushed phone conversations. Again no excuse really. This lack of headcount also is most likely the reason for quickly generated, if at all, receipts or documentation. I just get the feeling that they are not office automated. My receipt was given only because I asked for it and it was unsigned.

I can say this..I have been back to them for an adjustment- no charge, and will go back again this Spring for another fix (oil pan leak) no charge. Mark is a smart guy and technically knows his stuff. In person he was always very polite to me and addressed my concerns. My motor runs well and strong (about 1.5K on it now). If it craps out on me, I fell confident the will fix it.

My advice would be, yes, buy engines from these guys, expect/balance the great price with the lack of other support related services. If they are non-responive, keep calling, they will eventually get back to you. They may not be for you if you lack skills, Like me . I will buy my next motor from AR.

I know Mark reads this Forum, and hopefully all this feedback will ultimately help them to improve their post-sale service.

Regards,

Ken Lally
Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: The REAL deal with AR Racing (Ken Lally)

Dayum....no excuse whatsoever...i think I'm going to open a business...engine building...and I can wear the hat, and turn out a complete motor in 4 weeks time, just bymyself. I've worn that hat in another line, network installations...believe me, it is not difficult to wear a hat and yet communicate with customers...

Old 04-01-2004, 02:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: The REAL deal with AR Racing (GDaina)

George -
I got you beat: I can build an engine in 4 weeks while talking, drinking beer, wearing two hats and chewing gum all at the same time.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:08 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: The REAL deal with AR Racing (Ken Lally)

I've called Mark several times after I purchased my engine and he was always willing and able to help.. On some questions - he told me that he had to find out and he got back to me a few days later... I've dealt with a lot of businesses and AR is definetely one of the best ones that I've dealt with.

BTW - very soon (probably this summer) - I will have another engine built by AR... I'm still very satisfied with my current engine, but I'm looking for even more power... Running mid 11's just isn't fast enough for me anymore :D

Get notified of new replies

To The REAL deal with AR Racing

Quick Reply: The REAL deal with AR Racing